Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Venison Ragu anyone ?

(6 Posts)
GezFox Wed 01-Nov-17 21:13:41

Really fancy making one ? the JO recipe looks nice but would like a tried and tested one!

TIA x

GinUser Thu 02-Nov-17 18:08:20

I do venison in red wine, but never cook from a recipe, just do the basic onions, garlic, possibly mushrooms and some bacon lardons, generous red wine, beef or game stock, cook in the oven until meat is tender. Thicken sauce with a beurre manie (known as manic butter in our house). I am not keen on tomatoes so don't tend to add tomato puree.
If I am doing wild boar I might add some very high cocoa grated dark chocolate and some chili too.
Serve with potato and celeriac puree, red cabbage with apple and broccoli.

GezFox Fri 03-Nov-17 10:20:06

Sounds yummy ! Which cut of venison do you use ?

kateandme Fri 03-Nov-17 11:36:35

we use venison haunch or shoulder.darkest meat.
we then do it as a roasted meat for bout an hour then leave to cool keeping juices etc.
then cook pancetta,in its juices cook some celery carrot.mixed spice onion plenty of garlic and tomato pureee,rosemary.cook on very low for bout 20 until crips or soft or both.
meanwhile cut up venison into roughly 1cm cube type things.
add to veggies and cook on higher for bout 10 til some of the meat browns on edges!
then add the saved roasting juices and same amount of milk to red win about 500ml.it might look to curdle but it wont and comes back together
simmer and cook for 3 hours either on hob or in oven on 140
its doe when oil collects on surface and meat is tender
might need to add splash more liquid or turn up if its too wet.
serve with taglietelle.mmmmmm

user1485196412 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:40:49

Google the Able and Cole recipe - probably the best thing I've ever made. You've made me hungry now!!

GezFox Sat 04-Nov-17 15:22:11

Ace ! Thanks all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now