Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your signature dish

(3 Posts)
splendidisolation Tue 31-Oct-17 08:59:28

Thought it would be cool to share signature dishes!

Mine is boeuf bourguignon. I had it once in Paris and my mind was blown. I then spent a good amount of time perfecting it because I wanted to recreate the exact texture and flavour I'd experienced in the restaurant.

I've served this to French people before including my MIL and they really loved it so trust me. I do this recipe whenever I need something simple but delicious and guaranteed crowd pleaser.

This is a great easy winter recipe you can serve with rice or mash. Please share your number one signature dish!

Boeuf bourguignon

For 4 people, you need:
3 big carrots
1 big onion
1 clove of garlic
Just under a kilo of diced stewig beef
bay leaf + parsley
1 bottle of red wine (any will do)

Put your meat it in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Pour wine over it until meat covered. Put in fridge. Leave meat to soak in fridge for about 2 hours.

Chop onion and fry until translucent. Put aside. In a massive stewing pot, cook the meat with a bit of oil, turning all the pieces over until browned on all sides. NB: Make sure you use a draining spoon to move the meat from the bowl to the pot: we don't want the wine in there yet.

When meat is all browned, add the onions, garlic and sliced carrots. Add a ladle of water. Wait for it to 'reduce'. For this whole process, it should be on a medium heat. When that happens, take it off the heat for just a minute, while you stir in a tablespoon of flour. Put back on heat.

Now add all of the wine that had had your meat soaking in it. Pour it all into the pot, and if there's any left in the bottle, pour all that in too (keep just enough for a small glass for yourself!) Stir, reduce heat to a low setting, add parsley, more salt and pepper, your bay leaf. Cover, and let simmer for minimum three hours.In the last half hour prepare your rice, mash or new potatoes.

The consistency of the whole meal should be ''melty'': you want your carrots to fall apart on your plate and your meat to be very tender. You cannot leave this dish to simmer enough, the longer the better, as many hours as possible. This is even better reheated the next day.

If:
You put in too much flour:why?! I said a tablespoon. Add more water.
You put in too much wine:you can't really overwine this, but I get what you mean: add more pepper and a bit of sugar
You put in too much water:add a little bit of flour, although even better I discovered: gravy granules. Thickens the sauce really nicely, and adds a bit more seasoning: onion (or beef) gravy granules work great
You like:you can add mushrooms shudder, and you can also remove the bay leaf after it's been in the pot for an hour.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:12:47

Mine would be my wild mushroom risotto, I love it, I got the recipe elsewhere, but have tweaked it to make it my own smile

allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/41036/creamy-wild-mushroom-risotto.aspx

This is my recipe ^^

n0ne Wed 01-Nov-17 13:51:58

Mine is mackerel paté - more a canapé than a dish but it's always very popular. No recipe as such, I just keep tasting til it's right.

Pack of smoked mackerel (peppered or not, skins removed)
Good quality, full fat cream cheese
Juice of a lemon
Horseradish sauce
Black pepper if necessary

Just mash it all together with a fork, I like it a bit rough rather than a smooth paste. Serve on little squares of rye bread or rye crackers, a sprig of fresh dill on the top if you wanna be fancy wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now