Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pumpkin, celeriac and parsnip ideas

(17 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 29-Oct-17 16:57:14

Pick Your Own were giving away free veg today. I have a celeriac, a pumpkin and 2 parsnips I don't really know what to do with! Also some green and purple kale. Looking for delicious ideas as I don't really want to waste them.

No soup please, and the man suggested a celeriac remoulade which I could make with a bit of the celeriac but I don't want masses of it.

All I can think of so far is roasting it all as a side. And doing a pumpkin and bacon risotto.

Please inspire me smile Thanks!

TwitterQueen1 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:05:07

Ummmm there's a reason they were giving it away. Food of the devil. thlgrin

Pop it into the recycling or leave out for rats. Except for the parsnips.

everythingstaken123 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:55:06

This is one of my favourite recipes. Would use up at least half of the celeriac and you could substitute the squash with pumpkin:

www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/chicken-and-autumn-vegetable-pies/

Blondie1984 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:10:24

Make dauphinois with the celeriac - either in place of half the potato or all of it - you can also do something similar with mashed potato

Celeriac and Apple soup is nice

millifiori Sun 29-Oct-17 23:23:08

I like celeriac mixed with mashed potato as a topping on shepherd's or cottage pie - it's more savoury and has more flavour than plain mash.

Parsnips are gorgeous roasted with cumin or caraway seeds. Or add them to a curry. Or slice very very fine and fry on high heat for game chips or strips.

We had a stuffed pumpkin the other day. Hollow out the seeds and fill the centre with a mix of cooked brown, red and wild rice, minced beef (you could use lentils if veggie), onion, garlic, mushrooms, red pepper, peas and spices or herbs. Then bake until the pumpkin is cooked. Looks amazing and tasted gorgeous. Even DC who'd never had it before scoffed it down and asked for more.

lizzieoak Sun 29-Oct-17 23:31:47

I made pumpkin chocolate squares the other day and had a bit of (canned) pumpkin left over so made pumpkin pancakes today (& when I say pancakes I don’t mean British style, what I’d call crepes, I mean with baking powder in them).

I’m on a pumpkin roll now so am going to make black bean pumpkin soup soon.

HopeAndJoy16 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:36:40

I bought a medium sized pumpkin last weekend and made a few different things with it.

I made pumpkin muffins, they were so, so easy and taste delicious! The only bit which took a bit of time was making the puree, it needs to be left to drain (in a muslin lined sieve) for a while as it's a watery veg.

I also made a pumpkin and chickpea curry but wouldn't bother with that again. (Used a recipe on bbcgoodfood.com) And I've also got a supply of curried pumpkin soup in the freezer.

For the parsnips, Jamie Oliver has a recipe for a parsnip, maple and pecan loaf which sounds interesting!

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 30-Oct-17 12:05:37

Ooh honestly every one of these ideas sounds gorgeous! Going to get into the kitchen :D Gutted that I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have minimal space in my stomach grin I'll fill the freezer though.

Thanks!

trixymalixy Mon 30-Oct-17 12:10:39

i love celeriac. It makes lovely chips, i did them last night with fresh thyme on them and have also done them covered in chilli flakes or curry powder.

Celeriac dauphinoise is absolutely delicious and it is also nice mashed.

my mum makes a lovely dauphinoise with a mixture of potatoes and parsnips.

This celeriac gratin is lovely. We leave out the anchovies.

Ttbb Wed 01-Nov-17 20:32:36

Pumpkin is good I salads. Roast it then toss it with a bit of spinach, feta, walnuts and olive oil. Pumpkin scones can also be really good. All three can be diced up and put in pasties, you can always do a pumpkin pie as well.

BishopstonFaffing Wed 01-Nov-17 20:33:22

Spiced pumpkin cake.

FinallyHere Wed 01-Nov-17 21:45:01

Mmmm, chop celeriac into chip sized pieces, add some fat (i use a mix of coconut and olive oil) a small shallot or two plus few cloves of garlic. Rost in a hot oven for up to an hour, depending on the size of the pieces. I like the edges just tinged with crispy burnt bits. Once the pieces start to get tinged, add some chopped chorizo and leave for 20ish more minutes. Delicious. Sprinkle with thyme and serve.

For a one pot meal, add a chicken thigh per person.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 04-Nov-17 15:39:22

I made pumpkin fritters with roasted pumpkin, bit of Thai curry paste, couple of eggs, unsweetened dessicated coconut and a bit of flour. Shallow fry and serve with sweet chilli.sauce ( or whatever sauce you fancy - mayo, yoghurt). Also pumpkin hummus with roasted pumpkin, chickpeas, butter beans, lemon juice, olive oil and corriander.
Both delicious.
Parsnips are great roasted or pureed with cream and nutmeg.
Celeriac is also good roasted or gratin.
Wish someone would give me free veg!

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 04-Nov-17 15:40:22

Just realised kale as well - crispy seaweed!

midsomermurderess Sat 04-Nov-17 17:28:38

I like a celeriac and potato gratin.

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 04-Nov-17 17:42:26

Roast pumpkin makes a lovely salad with mixed leaves and pomegranate seeds.

Celeriac mash is nice with sausages

Crispy kale - roast in the oven with soy sauce

Roast parsnips with a roast dinner

Perfect autumn food!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now