Talk

Advanced search

Aubergines

(43 Posts)
TakeMe2Insanity Sun 29-Oct-17 05:51:13

I'm pregnant and all I want to eat is aubergines, but kind of reached my recipe limit. Give me your best please.

fitflopqueen Sun 29-Oct-17 06:09:21

Slice aubergines in half, little olive oil and season, put in oven proof dish and don't leave too much space, bake until soft
Once in oven Make thick sauce of tomatoes, onion and garlic(I had whatever herbs, tomato purée, bit of Worcestershire sauce etc).
Cover the aubergine with this then add cheese of choice, halloumi goes well and bake/grill, have with salad and bread.
Also nice with a layer of potato (cooked/sliced) and topped with cheese sauce

Am currently living in Turkey so eat lots of aubergine.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 29-Oct-17 06:22:50

Layered aubergine and lentil bake from BBC Good Food is ultimate comfort food.
The Moroccan chickpea and aubergine salad from BBC Good Food is great for lunch boxes. Have a look at the rest of the aubergine recipe collection on the Good Food website and also the recipes on this link www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/eggplant-recipes

picklemepopcorn Sun 29-Oct-17 06:24:51

Aubergine parmigiana. Thin slices layered up with tomato sauce and cheese, baked slowly in the oven

picklemepopcorn Sun 29-Oct-17 06:25:07

Aubergine curry...

tigerdog Sun 29-Oct-17 06:41:09

Definitely aubergine parmigiana, look up the Guardian’s ‘How to make the best Aubergine Parmigiama’ recipe.

Also, my Nonna used to make this which we just called Melenzane (not sure if it has a proper name) and is amazing:
- cut aubergine length ways and fry slices in olive oil.
- lay them all out and make a layered ‘sandwich’ of aubergine, a slice of ham, mozerella and then a final slice of aubergine.
- whisk up an egg
- dip the aubergine sandwich in flour and then in the egg
- lightly fry until the batter is crispy and repeat until they are all cooked
- top with a small amount of a tomato sauce (usually made with pasata, garlic, basil etc and slow cooked with inexpensive cuts of beef to make the sauce really rich, we’d have this with pasta to go alongside)
-sprinkle with Parmesan.

This was possibly my favourite food. It’s equally good cold in a sandwich with crusty white bread.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 29-Oct-17 06:52:21

Yum! Following 🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆

Joskar Sun 29-Oct-17 06:57:54

Slice into rounds
Brush with oil
Grill on both slides
Dress with salt, lemon juice, honey and chopped chilli
Eat warm or cold

Slice in half lengthwise
Grill skin side up until blackening
Put in an ovenproof dish flesh slide up and score the flesh
Cover the flesh with chermoula or even just harissa paste and oil
Cook in the oven til they're falling apart
Eat with cous cous made with chopped dried apricots, toasted almonds and green olives and plenty herbs

Have a look at Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes for more inspiration.

dudsville Sun 29-Oct-17 07:02:03

Wyken we do pasta dishes we slice aubergine and roast it in the oven to put on top of the pasta dish, either plan (just cooked in olive oil), with pesto on top, and or with cheese on top. Little slightly crispy spheres of gorgeousness. Also there's always the strandby ratatouille, layered in a lasagne, parmagiana. What are your stand by aubergine dishes op?

Bicyclethief Sun 29-Oct-17 07:03:07

Or pasta Siciliana. Cut aubergines into cubes, fry till soft then make a tomato sauce with passata( onion/bit garlic) Add the aubergines and cook together. Once cooked, boil pasta, mix with aubergine and sauce. Stick in oven proof dish, layer with mozzarella, Parmesan (lots) and bake for 30 minutes.

RJnomore1 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:11:27

Caponata

It's a Sicilian dish, very lovely

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2220689/caponata%3famp

There are lots of variations onlind

RJnomore1 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:12:13

It's also nice grilled and served with lamb, hummus and Greek yoghurt.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 29-Oct-17 08:26:23

Imam byaldi
Moroccan cuisine uses it in a lot of salads

theaveragewife Sun 29-Oct-17 08:30:44

Aubergine Buddha Bowl is really tasty and healthy, great for a lunch!

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Sun 29-Oct-17 08:45:21

I do a made up thing that is delicious (if I say so myself)

Half them length ways, score, brush with oil and pop in oven till soft.
Meanwhile make a basic spag Bol kind of sauce.
When the aubergines are cooked, scoop out the flesh (keeping the skins to one side) chop well and add to the sauce.
Before serving mix in lots of mint and crumble through some feta.
Fill the skins with the sauce and serve with salad and crusty bread

Crap, now I’m hungry

Orangeplastic Sun 29-Oct-17 09:55:20

Sweet tomato and aubergine pasta this Jamie Oliver recipe has been a long standing favourite!

Bicyclethief Sun 29-Oct-17 11:27:11

I love aubergines, these all sound great might have to try one each week!

TakeMe2Insanity Sun 29-Oct-17 15:04:03

Oh wow some of these sound amazing. Thank you so much.

I've done aubergine curry, parmesiana, grilled aubergine and cheese sandwiches but these will keep me going. I am so excited!

TakeMe2Insanity Sun 29-Oct-17 15:05:04

I've also raided our lebanese takeaway and had aubergine pickle stuffed with walnuts and their baba gnaoush.

Impatientwino Sun 29-Oct-17 16:14:30

Grilled aubergine, halloumi and houmous ciabatta sandwich is awesome - particularly if you brush the aubergines with harissa before grilling

Aubergine curry

Aubergine parmigiana

Harissa roasted aubergines with lemon and mint couscous

Dear god I want aubergines now!

Ta1kinPeece Sun 29-Oct-17 16:16:23

Grilled aubergine slices wrapped around chunks of halloumi or mozzarella and then baked
LUSH

DerelictWreck Sun 29-Oct-17 16:26:33

I just grill or roast chunks of them and serve with ripe avocado and fresh ripped mozzarella!

3littlebadgers Sun 29-Oct-17 16:34:03

Are you normally a smoker op? Aubergines are high in nicotine.

TakeMe2Insanity Sun 29-Oct-17 18:52:01

No, I've actually never smoked.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 29-Oct-17 18:59:24

Cut in half, score, coat generously with miso paste then roast. Nice with noodles and stir fried mange tout. Good alt to all the Mediterranean options smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: