Talk

Advanced search

Help, quick healthy meal ideas.

(12 Posts)
Ronnyhotdog Wed 25-Oct-17 19:28:32

I really need help in the kitchen. I’m not in great health, I went back to work about 6 months ago. By the time I get home I’m exhausted. I’ve let our diet go to pot, I’ve been using lots of convenience foods. I need ideas of quick, healthy meals to feed 4 of us, 1 being a very fussy 14yr Old. I don’t have the energy or strength to put lots of prep into it.
TIA

thegoodnameshadgone Wed 25-Oct-17 19:36:41

Slow cooker and google a few recipes it’s all easy and healthy if you use lots of veg and leaner meat

thegoodnameshadgone Wed 25-Oct-17 19:37:15

Get well soon also flowers

TheNewMrs Wed 25-Oct-17 19:45:36

Nice healthy quick meals:

Eggs on toast with beans

Stir fry (great to use lots of veg)

Stew/casserole in the slow cooker

Bolognaise in the slow cooker (leave some pasta in water on the hob ready just to light on)

Jacket potatoes (take a while in the oven but very little prep) with some sort of filling and salad

Homemade pizza? Ready made bases with some tomato sauce and then lots of veg topping

Hope you feel better soon smile

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 25-Oct-17 19:53:58

When You say fussy dc in what way?
We eat a lot of fish, really quick to cook and healthy. Things like tuna steaks for a nicois salad or cod fillets cooked in foil with lemon and herbs.
Jacket potatoes not particularly quick to cook but zero effort, or if in more of a hurry cook in the oven the night before then just reheat. Use sweet potatoes to ring the changes. Serve with coleslaw/beans/cheese/tuna and a salad.
Pasta with philly, peas, smoked salmon and plenty of black pepper.
Fritata with red onions, peppers and chorizo also super speedy.

Rudedog Wed 25-Oct-17 20:05:42

Batch cook pasta sauce (with hidden veg) - can make loads, blend and freeze.
Baked potatoes - we have loads of 'sides' and change it up, different meats/tuna/cheese etc

We also do Bolognese and chilli (cooked in batches) and have home made soup one night

Also on a Wednesday - we have 'crap tea' oven chips and something and beans it helps break the week up especially in the middle of the week

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 25-Oct-17 20:54:58

Pasta with a dollop of olive oil, smoked salmon, rocket, lemon rind and lemon juice, salt and pepper. Just mix it all together. Takes about 10 minutes.

Could the 14 year old cook at least once a week too?

Ronnyhotdog Wed 25-Oct-17 21:08:59

Thank you for all your ideas & well wishes.

Ds is fussy in that he likes plain foods, think meat, mash & peas or plain pasta. He doesn’t do sauces. To be fair to him he’s slowly becoming more open to try new foods. I have thought about having him cook once a week but in the nicest possible way he’s incredibly clumsy. I don’t want him to be a Mum who raises a son who needs ‘looking after’ for any future partners but I am aware that’s the way it’s heading. It’s something we need to work on.
I think a slow cooker is the way forward. I gave mine away about 2yrs ago because I didn’t use it but I can see the benefits of coming home to a cooked meal, ready to dish out.
Thanks again, you’ve given me food for thought!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Thu 26-Oct-17 10:03:51

Sorry, I don’t get the connection with him being clumsy and not cooking. I’m clumsy and at that age I was cooking for the family at least twice a week. Could you get him to look up a recipe he wants to try? Usborne Beginners Cookbook is a good one or you could try Delias How to Cook.

It’s in his own interests to learn smile

Ronnyhotdog Thu 26-Oct-17 11:43:46

I know that’s why I said it’s something I need to work on. I’m not explaining myself, I don’t need to feel any worse about things than I do already but thank you for your input.

kateandme Thu 26-Oct-17 12:09:24

would he cook with you luv.ask him.or tell him/ask him."right we gonna cook together I need help and you need to learn"banterish way.
one great one is the tomato mince big batch cook.this can then be put as bolognase,added spice for chilli or tacos.served with rice or pasta.
our fussy one love mince and pasta bake.basically take your bolognase mince,mix with pasta of choice.pour over a cheese sauce and bake.its so good.
get some ready rolled pastry in.keep a few in freer.it can be a topper for pies of any base.its can make a pasty or tart.
and really easy is just to roll out and top with literally anything for a tray bake astry base.chicken.pesto.roasted veggies.a bacon and egg version
stew.cassroles always make duble and freeze then just get out the night before.
traybakes.portions of meat.chunks of potato.chunks of any veg.toss on some herbs or seasoning and a little oil and salt.oven cook all in one deliciousness
for a pie you haven't the time to make pastry for.slice up a baguette and lay ontop with grated cheese.yum
savoury crumbles.the top can also be premade in freezer bags.
there are some great pour over curry sauces.so simple and quick.
put a chicken in the oven the night before.or any bit of roast meat.so you can just be going bout ur evening as usual.then you've cooked your roast meat.then you can protion it for meals or just heat up the next day with veggies and jackets or serve cold with salad and bread.

Handygarrottes Thu 26-Oct-17 12:33:48

If batch cooking is too much at this stage, could you do a sort of one night on, one night off sort of thing?

Roast two small chickens on a Sunday - Monday night have cold cuts with veg, pots, rice or salad.

Make a ratouille (speedy roast oven method) to have with meat or fish, next night puree and have as pasta sauce.

One night = take out or frozen pizza and salad or ping supper

That's five nights - then get your family to sort the weekends - baked beans on toast, baked spuds, omelettes or tortilla.

Otherwise - tray bakes are good - line oven tray with baking paper so washing up is easier. Throw in skinned chicken pieces, Mediterranean veg, glass of white wine and bake (loads of recipes on BBC good food site) ditto with sausages.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: