Talk

Advanced search

Chickpea recipes

(37 Posts)
CamdenTownie Wed 25-Oct-17 11:56:45

Hi,

Would anybody mind sharing their fave chickpea recipes with me? Other than hummus?

TIA

Rinceoir Wed 25-Oct-17 11:58:55

This is lovely.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:31:09

Sainsbury's Cajun spiced chickpea salad
BBC good food Moroccan aubergine and chickpea salad
Jamie Oliver's chickpea curry
BBC Goof Food falafel burgers
Sainsbury's butternut and chickpea tagine

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 25-Oct-17 14:23:50

Spicy butter bean, chickpea and BNS stew
This is proper Autumn fodder, I’ve added it to next weeks meals!
Spicy Chickpeas for topping jackets, putting in flat breads etc
BNS falafel these are the nicest falafel.
Roasted spicy chickpeas I often do these with nibbles, a bit like you would serve nuts.

MistyMinge Wed 25-Oct-17 14:25:43

I've made this soup a few times lately. It's quick, easy and delicious.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/333614/red-lentil-chickpea-and-chilli-soup

NinonDeLenclos Wed 25-Oct-17 14:32:36

Butternut squash coconut curry with spinach and chickpeas.
Aubergine, chickpeas & tomato with ginger and fennel seeds.

Tartyflette Wed 25-Oct-17 14:48:43

Check out Yotam Ottolenghi - he has good chickpea recipes in his books, magazine articles and online too, probably.
I make this quick chickpea salad as a main, or to go with curries or other dishes. I think it came from Madhur Jaffrey but I may have altered it over the years.
You need (serves two as a main with bread/rice or four as a side)
1 large can of chickpeas, drained (or similar amount soaked/cooked till soft)
1 large tomato and a 2-inch chunk of cucumber, all diced,
Couple of chopped spring onions, chopped clove of garlic,
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds plus tsp or so of ground cumin,
a whole chilli, chopped finely, (optional)
lemon or lime juice to taste (should be a little sharp)
chopped coriander. salt to taste.
Mix all together, stand for 20 mins or so at room temp before serving.
Sprinkle more cumin and coriander on top for decoration if you like. It's very adaptable.

BastardTart Wed 25-Oct-17 14:56:20

Slow cooker chickpea curry.

1 tin chickpeas (drained)
1 tin coconut milk
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Onion (diced)
Garlic (minced)
Grated ginger (i use the frozen stuff)
Then add your spices (garam masala, turmeric, coriander powder, curry powder)

Slow cook for 6 hours

You can add other things to this depending on what you have in the fridge, so things like potato, peppers, mushrooms go well. Also you can add prawns it diced chicken if you don't need it to be vegetarian

Polly1308 Wed 25-Oct-17 14:57:17

Following this thread so when I eventually get my kitchen sorted (epic house renovations) I can get stuck in and try some of these gorgeous sounding recipes!

UnicornSlippers Wed 25-Oct-17 15:02:02

Very easy, cheap tagine.

1. Dice an onion and soften it in the pan in some olive oil.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of ground cumin and stir through the onion.
3. Add 1 tin of drained chickpeas, 1 can of tinned crushed tomatoes and a handful of sultanas (or you can use chopped, dried apricots if you prefer).
4. Then fill up one of the cans with water and add that.
5. Pop in a cinnamon stick, lid on and bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer for about 30 mins, stirring occasionally.

If you want to make it more substantial, you can add some sweet potato chunks at the before you put the lid on the pan.

Its very tasty for such a simple recipe.

CamdenTownie Wed 25-Oct-17 15:05:40

Wow! I didn’t expect such a response- I’m going to print these recipes off/investigate them and work my way through- thanks everyone for taking the time to add your own favourites!

ZaphodBeeblerox Wed 25-Oct-17 15:19:23

Indian channa masala is on regular rotation in my house:

Chop one onion roughly and sauté in a hot pan with oil until translucent and jammy (this takes 10-15 mins actually and keep stirring and scraping so it doesn't catch. But builds flavour beautifully)

Add 1 tsp each of whatever you have of the following:
-fresh ginger or ginger paste
-minced garlic or garlic paste
-finely chopped green chilli (remove seeds if you don't like it too hot) or chilli powder
-turmeric powder
-coriander powder
-cumin seeds or cumin powder

Doesn't matter if you don't have everything above, just whatever you have.

Add one roughly chopped tomato and salt to taste. Let it cook for 5 mins. Cool, and blend with a hand blender. (If you chop very finely you don't need to bother with this, I'm a lazy cook).

But back on heat, tip in a can of cooked chickpeas, let it simmer away for 10-12 mins. Add some chopped coriander, a squeeze of lime. If you want it more creamy grind a small handful of cashews very fine (or use 2 tbsp of almond meal) and stir it through - makes the curry thick and glossy. Or just before serving add a tbsp of thick yoghurt.

Great with rice / bread / on toast / with brioche.

Also, the leftover water from chickpea cans is a miraculous ingredient.. aquafaba. If you have a kitchenaid or similar hands off mixer, just chuck the liquid in there and let it whip it up. Forms thick peaks like egg whites but unlike egg whites you cannot over beat. Add a half cup of sugar and continue to let it whip until it forms glossy peaks - then spoon onto baking tray and bake in low oven (say 100C) for an hour or more till it forms beautiful vegan meringues! Add colour/flavourings/top with fruit!

HandbagFan Wed 25-Oct-17 16:05:49

Chickpea and chorizo stew (serves two if you add some bread)

Fry some chopped onion and, when soft, add 2 cloves garlic, crushed. After a couple of minutes add a large can of chickpeas, a small tin of tomatoes and some chopped up chorizo. Simmer for 15 mins then serve.

Yummy.

Elllicam Wed 25-Oct-17 16:11:01

Not really a proper recipe but I love smoked paprika roast chickpeas. Drain the chickpeas, dry them really well, drizzle with olive oil, roast for roughly 15 mins until crunchy then put about a tablespoon of honey, a lot of smoked paprika and salt to taste. They are lovely, smokey, sweet and salty. They are my go to slimming world snack (you can use frylight instead of olive oil).

NymanPerkins Wed 25-Oct-17 16:16:08

And if you use tinned peas, save the ‘juice’. Google aqua faba recipes. It can make vegan meringues, macarons, Chocolate mousse!

lolalotta Wed 25-Oct-17 21:18:14

Following! I love chickpeas!

cdtaylornats Wed 25-Oct-17 21:34:14

Chicken & Chickpea curry
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1233/fragrant-chicken-curry-with-chick-peas

Oblomov17 Wed 25-Oct-17 21:42:35

Noting!

wtftodo Wed 25-Oct-17 21:46:46

Chickpea, chorizo and kale (or spinach, cabbage, whatever) stew - substitute squash or halloumi in place of chorizo for vegetarian option and add plenty of smoked paprika

Also Moro or Ottolenghi have lovely fried chickpeas recipes.. lovely with fattoush salad

Rogue1234 Wed 25-Oct-17 21:50:34

This is "everything-free", vegan and gluten free but really delicious.

www.foodiewithfamily.com/chickpea-tikka-masala/amp/

I pile loads of spinach into it as well which isn't in the recipe.

myrtleWilson Wed 25-Oct-17 21:55:44

Love chana masala and this is good - had it again after a dogs age in our house
www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/scrumptious-spanish-chickpea-and-chorizo-soup/

AdoraBell Wed 25-Oct-17 21:57:19

Place marking. Also in need of inspiration.

ihatethecold Wed 25-Oct-17 22:06:22

Great recipes.

PurpleDaisies Wed 25-Oct-17 22:10:36

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364634/chickpea-and-coriander-burgers

These are really nice

DeliveredByKiki Thu 26-Oct-17 07:36:23

Shameless place marking

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: