Talk

Advanced search

Your favourite supermarket wines?

(10 Posts)
buckeejit Thu 19-Oct-17 20:50:07

Any good value Tesco/Sainsburys purchases that you'd recommend? Or Booths/Waitrose/Morrisons, where I can go in a couple of weeks.

I'm working on doing my Christmas wine order and trying to work out if there's some stuff I should get at the supermarket. I like the Sainsburys taste the difference Chilean Merlot and their Douro - Tesco also have a Douro that I think I've had before and liked. There's 25% off when you buy 6 bottles in Tesco at the mo and I think the same in Sainsburys next week.

I like Marlborough Sauvignons and bigger reds I think (recentish convert to red so not too sure yet!)

Thanks for any tips!

buckeejit Fri 20-Oct-17 19:43:33

No wine fans then? 😉

everythingstaken123 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:31:47

Sorry you've had no replies.

I really don't like supermarket wines. I never seem to choose the right ones. I usually go to Majestic and tell them exactly what I'm looking for and they make up a box for me. I can't remember if there's a minimum amount at majestic but it's def best to buy six if you want a discount. They have always given me great wine and I never spend more than £7 a bottle.

Have also had good success at Aldi for Prosecco at xmas.

smoothieooo Tue 24-Oct-17 16:59:24

I really like Tesco's finest Malbec at £7.50 a bottle (and, as you say, 25% off 6 bottles) which I think works out at £33.75. I'm not a great lover of white wine but Tesco's Picpoul de Pinet (also in the 'Finest' range) is lovely at a similar price to the Malbec.

I don't work at Tesco by the way grin

lastqueenofscotland Tue 24-Oct-17 20:04:31

The Aldi reisling (the £7 one) is lovely... the Sauvignon is rank...
The perks of wine shops is you generally have someone who knows what they are talking about and you can often try one.

PickAChew Tue 24-Oct-17 20:09:43

Supermarkets don't seem to be hitting the spot with wines, these days. They've mostly stopped trying. I've had a few nice ones from Waitrose, buy couldn't name any.

I have, however, worked my way through 3 bottles of carignan from markses in the past week or so. It's rather delicious.
www.marksandspencer.com/carignan-old-vines-red-case-of-6/p/p60060955?prevPage=srp

smoothieooo Wed 25-Oct-17 09:59:48

Lidl were doing a very nice Carignan the other week... £5.99 for a 91 rated 'outstanding' wine!

ShangriLaLaLa Wed 25-Oct-17 10:04:02

Morgon and Cairanne are lovely from Waitrose and for white, Tesco do a great Picpoul de Pinet.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Wed 25-Oct-17 10:15:08

yy to the Tesco Argentinian Malbec and the Aldi Claire valley riesling
M&S do a good Fleurie although I wouldn't describe it as big or full bodied.
Sainsbury's sell Yalumba Viognier which is really nice and fruity.

buckeejit Wed 25-Oct-17 23:42:36

Ooh, great thanks-I always used to get tesco wine when they tried to lure me back with £9 off a £60 shop etc but they've taken wine off the allowable purchases now!

Will try those, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now