Talk

Advanced search

Tips for cooking lots of onions

(8 Posts)
ButIDontHaveTheRightShoes Wed 18-Oct-17 18:25:15

I am helping out with the hotdog stall at the local fireworks display.

I have been asked to cook onions in the morning at home to bring along in the evening. I will be getting a sack of onions dropped off to me a few days beforehand.

I have not cooked vast amount of onion before. In fact, I rarely cook onion because it disagrees with DH, so we always use leeks instead.

Luckily I have 2 ovens and a big hob.

Any top tips?

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 18-Oct-17 22:55:44

Do you have to have a sack? I would buy bags of frozen ready chopped in the supermarket, saves a lot of chopping. Heat oil in big roasting trays, add onions, coat in the oil and leave them to cook.

antimatter Wed 18-Oct-17 22:57:27

I would second buying chopped frozen onion, chopping would be hard work

Magpie24 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:04:24

If you have to use the sack then consider using a food processor to chop them up (if you have one), otherwise you'll be there forever and have very painful eyes!

kateandme Thu 19-Oct-17 10:58:18

use butter and oil to hinder sticking and burning start and youll have to o it in batched basically for hours to get best effect.add some sugar to make that lovely sweet hot dog onions.they literally need to be slow cooked four hours.then when one batch isdone turn over the next and next etc etc.

AlternativeTentacle Thu 19-Oct-17 11:00:20

Oil, jam pan, half onion and slice, all in pan cooked slowly until all slightly brown them some sugar to sweeten them up. Keep butter out of it for dairy free.

kateandme Thu 19-Oct-17 11:02:07

www.thehungrymouse.com/2013/06/06/perfect-caramelized-onions/

Andtheresaw Thu 19-Oct-17 11:03:01

Slice (do not chop or they will be really hard to serve) with a processor.
Oil in bottom of huge pan with lid. Fill wiith onions. Add water to 1/4 depth and turn on low. Stir at 10 min intervals, allowing steam to escape. When all soft you can turn up the heat to drive off the residual water and keep turning over to give a fried flavour. Don't worry about browning them, you can do that when they are being heated at the event.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now