Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for Dinner for 9.....

(13 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Sun 08-Oct-17 17:19:36

Will be cooking for 5 adults, 2 teens and 2 Tweens in a few weeks time and didn't want to plant it safe with a roast!

Any ideas??

StaySexyDontGetMurdered Sun 08-Oct-17 17:22:04

I'd do a one pan dish like paella or something pasta. Then you can easily add little sides etc to fancy it up.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:30:51

Fish pie, shepherd's pie, bangers and mash, spag bol, fish cakes, risotto, stir fry or curry with popadoms and naan bread.

AnnPerkins Sun 08-Oct-17 18:34:51

I would do lamb kleftiko with Greek salad.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 08-Oct-17 18:54:52

What's wrong with playing it safe? although I tend to do a roast most Sunday's I think it's a dying trend, it seems to be popular with most.
Although it can be a bit of a pain with guests as ties you to the kitchen for a bit at the end.
Maybe a lasagne with garlic bread.
Chicken and chorizo tray bake
Chicken and chickpea tagine with cous cous
If you know they eat fish, salmon encroute always looks like you've made the effort.
As we're getting autumny then either a casserole (pork in cider with apples and shallots is good) or a pie (steak and ale, chicken and asparagus) may go down well.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 08-Oct-17 19:02:46

Salmon en croute sounds great but isn't it terribly tricky to make?

I'm not the best cook in the world!

Jecan Sun 08-Oct-17 19:10:31

I would make 2 of these and serve salad and garlic bread.

It is by far the best lasagne I’ve ever eaten & the Bolognese sauce can be made in advance. And it doesn’t need a white sauce - just Creme fraiche & Parmesan

BaconAndAvocado Sun 08-Oct-17 20:48:47

Jecan that looks very good indeed.

What else could I do to accompany it apart from garlic bread?

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 08-Oct-17 21:00:14

Salmon en croute isn't too hard if you get your fish ready skinned and filleted and cheat with ready rolled puff!

TimbuktuTimbuktu Sun 08-Oct-17 21:24:41

This Chicken and Chorizo bake is really easy. I add carrots and stick some peppers and courgettes in about half an hour before the end then serve with salad and maybe some crusty bread.
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes

Jecan Mon 09-Oct-17 07:36:05

baconandavocado - I often serve it with a bread/pizza thing we had in Puglia. We call it a cicco but think we just made that up since none of us speak Italian.
A pizza base - brush it with a mix of garlic crushed into olive oil. Bake in the oven till it’s light brown. Then add chopped fresh tomatoes that have been in balsamic vinegar, grated feta, chopped mozzarella & finish with rocket & serve. It looks amazing, tastes delicious & isn’t much work.

Jecan Mon 09-Oct-17 07:40:43

looks similar to this

kateandme Mon 09-Oct-17 10:00:39

what about serving with some roasted cauliflower sprinkled with parmesan.
or roasted cabbage steaks or cauli steaks
mix of green veg
we have done some stuff halved courgettes too with lasagna
or some sweetcorn relish
or some warm French stick or ciabatta with butter.mmmm
weve also served it with a edame bean and pea salad with a vinegrette dressing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now