Talk

Advanced search

Boil or bake rice pudding?

(22 Posts)
RossssCan Sun 08-Oct-17 07:41:42

I want to make some rice pudding with clotted cream (to make it as close to Rachels as possible)

Some recipes say to boil for an hour, some say to bake, (some both).

What would be the difference between the end result ?

CrabappleCake Sun 08-Oct-17 07:43:40

Always baked as the you get the crispy top and a lovely yellow colour.

Never occurred to be to boil. Also you can leave it to do own thing.

Hmmalittlefishy Sun 08-Oct-17 07:44:01

I've never boiled mine always baked it or done in the slow cooker. I guess boiling you need to keep more of an eye on it and stir it more frequently?

CrabappleCake Sun 08-Oct-17 07:44:46

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/18/how-make-perfect-rice-pudding

JonSnowsWife Sun 08-Oct-17 07:48:25

My Grandma always bakes it. Complete with a sprinkling of nutmeg.

Not even Ambrosia can match hers.

Enjoy.

Fairylea Sun 08-Oct-17 07:50:56

Bake!

QueenOfThorns Sun 08-Oct-17 07:52:22

You must bake it for the lovely top!

boredofmyoldname Sun 08-Oct-17 07:53:27

I did mine in the slow cooker yesterday and it's gorgeous we had it for breakfast with strawberries and jam.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 08-Oct-17 08:00:07

On the hob, with a sprinkling of cinnamon on top.

Battyoldbat Sun 08-Oct-17 08:02:28

If you do it in the oven it takes ages, I've only done it on the hob to get a quick one, takes about 30-45 mins. But these days I do it in the slow cooker anyway, nice and easy and no manky skin!

Zoll Sun 08-Oct-17 08:09:02

I am told my rice pudding is good.

In an enamelled iron pot, I cook the rice in butter and a pinch of salt on the hob until it goes transparent, then add the (gold top!) milk slowly a bit like a risotto, stirring as I go for about 5 minutes or so (a cup of tea amount of time). Then I smooth the top and grate over nutmeg and put in a slow oven to get the skin.

Sometimes I add a bay leaf and lemon zest, when I am feeling fancy. :P

FunkinEll Sun 08-Oct-17 08:10:18

I like to start mine on the job and then bake. If I can be bothered I sometimes ass egg yolks which makes it super lovely but it's more faffy.

GlowWine Sun 08-Oct-17 08:16:19

I make mine in a slow cooker, boiling is ( for me at least) quite tricky as it tends to boil over or burn if unattended for a second, and I just don't have the patience smile. Never tried baking (not traditional to my background)

takesnoprisoners Sun 08-Oct-17 08:18:11

Boiling takes forever and needs constant supervision. Please bake for the yummiest rice pudding.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 08-Oct-17 08:19:38

On the hob takes as long as it would for a risotto.

PotteringAlong Sun 08-Oct-17 08:23:39

I do it in the slow cooker too!

RossssCan Sun 08-Oct-17 08:37:14

Baking it is it seems!
The only rice pudding I like is Rachels as its so so creamy, but she for some reason won't reveal her recipe on the website!

Some of the 'hob' recipes said cooking time was about an hour or so, and one stated that its creamier.

Well I'll give baking a go and see how we go, I just hope it doesn't turn out like the mullers or normal tinned ones!

Thanks all

RossssCan Sun 08-Oct-17 08:38:45

Sadly, no slow cooker, I wouldn't use it enough.

Maybe if I dont like the baked result, Ill have to go buy a slow cooker just for rice pudding (may be cheaper to just buy all of the Rachels pots)

RossssCan Sun 08-Oct-17 08:39:41

oops nc fail as posting on another thread! does it matter grin

[Message from MNHQ: We've fixed that for you, OP]

boredofmyoldname Sun 08-Oct-17 08:47:02

Haha I did think that was an odd reply grin

Slow cookers are surprisingly useful and cheap too. I have an 8 year old Asda one that cost £7 (£9 now) and a 3 year old double Morphy Richards one which cost £30 and I much prefer the Asda one!

boredofmyoldname Sun 08-Oct-17 08:48:50

Actually I've just noticed your OP name, all I can hear is Phoebe chanting now!

Rosscan.. Rosscan get me the tickets grin

RossssCan Sun 08-Oct-17 12:08:47

Rosscan.. Rosscan get me the tickets

grin I sing it to myself every now and again

(Thanks @MNHQ)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: