Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fish is so expensive!!

(18 Posts)
anonymousbird Wed 04-Oct-17 11:38:09

We like fish but find ourselves hardly ever eating it as it works out so expensive for a meal for four. I also think that the portions in supermarkets are so small, probably ok for kids but not enough for adults. If I buy a larger piece from the counter it is eye poppingly pricey!

Our mobile fishmonger is no cheaper.

How do you include fish in your diet without it costing a bomb? And where do you get it? Needs to be edible as it is, not just mixed into say, a fish pie, so I'm looking for plain pieces rather than diced, battered or breaded.

TIA.

cowgirlsareforever Wed 04-Oct-17 11:39:23

Frozen fish from Aldi and Iceland is very good and far cheaper than most other places.

HeyMacWey Wed 04-Oct-17 11:40:18

Try Iceland - they do packs of plain fillets - normally get 3 packs for £10.

VeryPunny Wed 04-Oct-17 11:40:45

Buy the frozen fillets. Most of it is frozen at sea so very fresh and it's much cheaper. I buy the bags of sea bass filets from Tesco - about £7 for 4 or 5 pieces. Tesco/Aldi also have frozen haddock, cod, pollack etc. I generally cook straight from frozen by wrapping each piece in foil with a little butter or oil. I don't like the frozen salmon as it's usually pacific stuff, not the Scottish/Norweigian one.

reetgood Wed 04-Oct-17 11:41:46

Mackerel and trout are some of your cheaper whole fish options. Also coley. The frozen portions are good but I think best in something else eg fish curry.

Lenl Wed 04-Oct-17 11:42:11

We eat a lot of fish (no meat) and the cost drives me crazy. I don't really know how to cook frozen fish nicely though? Does it not come out watery?

staveleymum Wed 04-Oct-17 11:42:34

Sainsbury do a basic range frozen pollock for £2 a bag. There are 5-6 fillets in a bag and lovely.

Mirror comments of others re Iceland - its the only thing we go in for (although invariably end up with other things)!

cowgirlsareforever Wed 04-Oct-17 11:42:36

The bags of Aldi frozen cod and haddock fillets are £2.99. You get quite a lot of portions in them too.

TheBadTemperedLadybird Wed 04-Oct-17 11:43:21

Sardines on toast are nice. Kippers aren't expensive. Pollock and other cheaper white fish can be used in recipes that say to use cod.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 04-Oct-17 11:44:20

I do the same as VeryPunny

CrabappleCake Wed 04-Oct-17 11:48:11

Frozen fish fillets - some can be cooked from frozen.

Mackerel/coley/pollack are all cheap.

We had cornish sardines the other night - very cheap - I think they are rebranded pilchards.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 04-Oct-17 11:54:53

Aldi do a pack of 4 tuna steaks for about £2.70. They cook from frozen and are delicious.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 04-Oct-17 15:13:59

I buy it frozen too, Asda often do three for £10 deals, also tinned fish, Sicilian sardine pasta is gorgeous, and the cheap kippers are great is kedgeree or made into fishcakes.

everythingstaken123 Wed 04-Oct-17 16:53:32

I buy a whole salmon when it is on sale half price (and when i know i have some time to do something with it cos it takes a while). Then I poach it in the oven for about 20 mins and then make fish cakes and when I've lost the will to live, I bag up the rest into portions to make pasta or whatever at a later date. I find that one whole salmon makes at least 50 fish cakes and then about another 4 bags of fish for other meals. It is the only way I can afford to feed everyone nice fish and if you get yourself a good recipe then every one enjoys it and you have a meal straight out of the freezer without doing any more work.

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 16:55:34

Tuna

anonymousbird Thu 05-Oct-17 13:58:49

Thanks all. I was worried that frozen would lose its texture/be watery but will give it a go next time I am at Aldi.

And yes, mackerel is something we used to eat a bit of and I love it. And it is good value.

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 05-Oct-17 14:02:00

When it is in season, Pouting. It is very reasonable priced and can be as little as 60p per serving. Also, Sprats.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:27:57

If you get a mywaitrose loyalty card you get 20% off at the fish counter every Friday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now