Talk

Advanced search

What to put on a vegetarian child's sandwich?

(70 Posts)
MySecretToTell Tue 03-Oct-17 20:32:09

It's my dd's birthday party in a few weeks and I don't have any ideas for sandwich fillings.

We have decided to provide the children's party food in the little card lunch pales.
My issue is we are vegetarian and don't fancy making meat sandwiches. We are planning on including a babybel, box of raisins and another snack item which I haven't thought of yet in the lunch pale. Because of the babybel and some of our friends thinking that all vegetarians eat is cheese we really don't want to do cheese sandwiches.
My dd loves hummus and grated carrot sandwiches, salad and quorn slices etc but I don't think they're very appealing to the masses and also hummus could be messy.

Does anyone have any ideas of vegetarian sandwich fillings which aren't cheese, aren't super messy to eat but most children will eat?

All kids will be younger than 5 with most being 2.

pickleface Tue 03-Oct-17 20:35:09

Egg mayo
Hummus and cucumber
Jam
Cream cheese and cucumber

pickleface Tue 03-Oct-17 20:35:31

Ooh and marmite?

imokit Tue 03-Oct-17 20:35:53

marmite
peanut butter +/- jam
cream cheese

MikeUniformMike Tue 03-Oct-17 20:37:18

egg salad.
peanut butter
hummus & carrot
avocado
marmite
cream cheese and cucumber
quorn chorizo slices and peppers on margarita pizza
veggie jelly with fruit bits in

Invisimamma Tue 03-Oct-17 20:37:41

Jam! It's a kids party you can get away with it.

Or cucumber and Philadelphia (I know still cheese!).

0to3SadOnions Tue 03-Oct-17 20:38:36

Kids party? Nutella. Just have a pack of baby wipes handy.

villamariavintrapp Tue 03-Oct-17 20:43:31

Pesto?

Muddlingalongalone Tue 03-Oct-17 20:45:51

Jam - not sure I've ever met a child who doesn't eat them. It's a party after all!

Topseyt Tue 03-Oct-17 20:46:17

Egg and tomato.
Jam.
Chocolate spread.
Salad sandwiches (lettuce, tomato, cucumber).
Hard boiled egg.
Egg mayo.

I'd be wary of peanut butter due to possible allergies. Not sure how chocolate spread fits with that.

Cream cheese is often a popular option.

mammmamia Tue 03-Oct-17 20:49:34

Haven't been to a single party where nutella or peanut butter has been served - you don't know who's got a nut allergy.

I'd go with jam, or cream cheese and cucumber. Maybe you could change the snack, does it have to be babybel, what about some fruit, small pack of biscuits, raisins, Pom bears etc?

mammmamia Tue 03-Oct-17 20:50:12

Pesto has nuts in it as well.

MySecretToTell Tue 03-Oct-17 20:53:34

Thanks all grin

You really think I could get away with Jam? So simple.

I need to stay away from peanut butter as one of the kids has a peanut allergy, peanut butter and jam would have solved all of my problems.

I really want to stay away from cream cheese because of the babybel and the other snack will probably end up being a yogurt of some kind.

There seen to be a lot of suggestions for what I would have considered messy sandwiches, egg mayo, hummus etc, maybe I just over fill my own sandwiches, I need to catch the drips on a plate when I make those for myself and dd grin Maybe I'll have a few practice runs and see if I can do them with less spillage.

MySecretToTell Tue 03-Oct-17 20:56:54

Mammmamia the snack doesn't have to be babybel, I'm just thinking of cost and I can get 24 babybel for less than £3.50 from Costco. The idea was stuck in my head but I suppose fruit would be a good alternative. Then I could do cream cheese and cucumber which would be very simple.

Muddlingalongalone Tue 03-Oct-17 20:59:08

Would little rolls work better in terms of less spillage??
DD1 loves rolls on the rare occasions evil mummy lets her have packed lunch

MySecretToTell Tue 03-Oct-17 21:03:05

Muddlingalongalone I can't believe I didn't think of rolls, they're much less messy. I remember loving egg mayo rolls when I was a child smile

BeatriceBeaudelaire Tue 03-Oct-17 21:59:26

Mozzarella, tomato, basil.
Cheddar, pickle.
Quorn turkey etc?

BeatriceBeaudelaire Tue 03-Oct-17 22:00:47

Sorry, should’ve RTFT.

Peanut butter and jam?

BeatriceBeaudelaire Tue 03-Oct-17 22:01:13

Also I love jam sandwiches

dramallamakarma Tue 03-Oct-17 22:15:39

Do you have a Lidl near you? They do snack size cucumbers & peppers that are ideal for lunch boxes / picnic bags.

BroomstickOfLove Tue 03-Oct-17 22:21:14

I would ditch the sandwiches altogether and serve pizza slices and veggie sausage rolls, carrot and cucumber sticks, a box of raisins and some sort of cake/biscuit and/or a piece of fruit.

CamperVamp Tue 03-Oct-17 22:28:21

For two year olds I would do jam, and marmite.

Part of the problem is giving them all a packed box. If you provided plates of sandwiches including hummus, egg, and other fillings, the parents could select those that they know their kids like.

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Tue 03-Oct-17 22:30:27

Quote sausages

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Tue 03-Oct-17 22:30:37

Quorn

slippermaiden Tue 03-Oct-17 23:07:07

Marmite, dairylea, cucumber, houmous, peanut butter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now