Talk

Advanced search

Potatoes help!

(6 Posts)
MrsStinkey Mon 02-Oct-17 13:50:07

I'm making little roasty potatoes for with dinner today. Usually I prep my potatoes before hand by chopping and putting in a bowl of water to stop them discolouring. I then dry them off when I'm ready, pop on a baking tray and cover in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. They never go as crispy as i would like though. I was thinking today that I'd prep them and pop them in a bowl then cover in the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic then just use them when I'm ready (couple of hours time). Will they discolour? Will it work? Someone please help!

OP’s posts: |
whatsthecomingoverthehill Mon 02-Oct-17 14:33:09

I always parboil roasties. And use an oil that can go to a high temperature (e.g. rapeseed oil) with a bit of butter for flavour. When parboiling I tend to do the water from cold, so that the middle of the potatoes is warmed up gradually too, and boil for abut 10 minutes (just make sure it doesn't turn to mash!). Water must be salted. When you drain them off, leave them for 5 minutes to let off the steam. The edges should be fluffy, which the oil soaks into and crisps up.

MrsStinkey Mon 02-Oct-17 14:49:05

These aren't what you would class as a true roast potato whatsthecomingoverthehill it's more like roasted veggies IYSWIM. It's baby potatoes I use for these with the skin on rather than the traditional bigger potato, peeled and roasted although your method will be what I use for with my next roast thank you! I've left them in a bowl with oil, salt, pepper and garlic whilst I do the school pick up so fingers crossed their not all discoloured when I get back!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Mon 02-Oct-17 15:22:57

Ah ok, sort of like a cross between wedges and roast potatoes then? I do that sort of thing sometimes but if you want them crispy I'd still parboil a bit, even if they're small. (I'd just put them into boiling water rather than from cold.) I'm sure they'll taste nice still, can't go far wrong with garlic and herbs!

Jayfee Mon 02-Oct-17 15:29:31

Did they discolour??

MrsStinkey Mon 02-Oct-17 16:43:58

They haven't discoloured! That's them in the oven roasting away. Will update with the final result! They are more a cross between wedges and roasties that's a good way to describe them!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in