Talk

Advanced search

Advice on making a cake bigger please

(5 Posts)
MagnumAddict Fri 29-Sep-17 14:31:28

I feel like I should be asking for a baking mentor as I fear this another daft question but I trust the kind souls in here more than google!

I successfully made a half decent chocolate sponge I'm going to use for my sons bday cake in a few weeks time. I'd like to double or triple the size though as it was quite a small layer.

So my question is do I just double/triple the ingredients? Is there some ingredients like say baking powder you wouldn't do this with?

Also would this be a case of doubling tripling the cooking time?

Any advice would be really appreciated

OP’s posts: |
MrsHathaway Fri 29-Sep-17 14:48:37

Ingredients, yes, just scales.

Cooking time is much more complicated. You'd need to check a lot, and possibly adjust temperature.

Could you sandwich together several smaller cakes to make one tall one? That's usually more reliable.

Quartz2208 Fri 29-Sep-17 14:51:50

Yes I would triple ingredients and then do multiple tins to sandwich together

Battyoldbat Fri 29-Sep-17 14:53:13

Yes to the ingredients.
As MrsHathaway says, the cooking time is a bit more complicated. What I do when I'm baking a large cake is reduce the temp to 150 degrees and bake for longer, otherwise you end up with burnt edges and a soggy middle. It can take over an hour for me to bake a large cake. Or if you have multiple tins the same size you can bake multiple shallower layers. I'm too lazy to line multiple cake tins so I prefer to shove it all in one.

MagnumAddict Fri 29-Sep-17 17:52:51

Thanks a lot, still a work in progress.... Bit of a soggy middle and crispy outside but I will turn down temp lower and cook longer next time.

Thanks for the advice!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »