Talk

Advanced search

No cocoa powder or chocolate- can I use Nutella

(5 Posts)
MagnumAddict Thu 28-Sep-17 11:42:58

I'm still practicing different chocolate cake recipes for my sons birthday cake in a few weeks.

I've just made a sponge using up the last of the cocoa powder. I'm making a buttercream too. Could I add a bit of Nutella to butter and icing sugar to give it a chocolate look? How much?

Or should I just make a normal buttercream? Won't look as nice but it's not for anything this cake, it's more to get the quantities right for the size of the cake.

I never feel as daft as I do when I post in baking but everyone here has always been so helpful no matter how daft the question!

OP’s posts: |
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 28-Sep-17 11:45:11

If you are making the buttercream to a recipe, treat the nutella as part of the butter content for quantity. Otherwise, add carefully, until the consistency is right.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 28-Sep-17 11:46:35

As you are not cooking it, it is difficult to spoil the cake with it, so as long as it's stiff enough, you've got more of a margin of error!

MagnumAddict Thu 28-Sep-17 12:01:51

Thanks so much!! I'll give it a go smile

OP’s posts: |
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 28-Sep-17 12:44:51

Save me a bit smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »