Talk

Advanced search

Your top, absolute favourite slow cooker recipe please

(9 Posts)
Rhubarbara Tue 26-Sep-17 14:35:22

I know what the slow cooker can do and I know its main advantage is convenience; I don't want to use it incessantly, probably once a week, but I would really like a handful - a small repertoire, if you will - of really delicious slow cooker meals (as opposed to just doing a bolognese sauce in it).

So could you please share your tastiest?! Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
dreamingofsun Tue 26-Sep-17 15:58:18

i'd like more too.....current ones are a bit obvious - curry using meat/veg/tin of toms/curry paste or powder/onions/chutney

or baked beans/sausages or pork or chicken/herbs/garlic/dash of white wine/onions/maybe some mustard

or i do like a bacon joint cooked in water with some cloves and maybe an onion and then finished off in the oven

wintersdawn Tue 26-Sep-17 16:08:15

I've just dragged mine out of the cupboard and found some new ones on line. My current favourite is chicken thighs and potatoes http://damndelicious.net/2016/05/27/slow-cooker-garlic-parmesan-chicken-potatoes/

woofsaysthecat Tue 26-Sep-17 16:45:27

These are curry recipes

https://www.buzzfeed.com/dishingdelish/15-insanely-good-slow-cooker-indian-food-recipes-1w3de?utm_term=.slQ0xMQ1PP#.ea2nL9Gykk

AtLeastThreeDrinks Tue 26-Sep-17 16:58:38

This thai curry is one of our absolute favourite meals (and not just from the slow cooker!).

I use chicken thighs rather than breast and chop it up beforehand so it all just gets bunged in together. I think tofu would work for veggies.

Jamie's beef and ale stew also works well.

I'm also planning on trying this black dhal in the slow cooker. It works beautifully on the hob – serve with naan and chutneys!

StepAwayFromCake Tue 26-Sep-17 17:15:16

Chicken and Pearl Barley

Packet of dried onions (I've no time to peel and fry off etc in the mornings) and a cup of pearl barley mixed together in the SC.
Laid a couple of bay leaves on top.
Cover with sliced leek.
Cover that with sliced mushrooms.
Lay 8 chicken thighs, skin-side up, on top.
Pour a generous glass of red wine over all of it.
Pour chicken stock over all of it, until the liquid just touches the chicken.
Cook on low for about 6h.

Serves 5.

Serve with separately cooked greens.

StepAwayFromCake Tue 26-Sep-17 17:27:39

We also like

Beef Short Ribs

Fried onions and a couple of bay leaves in the SC pot.
Lay beef short ribs on top.
Stuff gaps with mushrooms (optional).
Sprinkle generously with paprika (we prefer the smoked sweet variety, but ordinary is nice, too).
Dissolve a beef stock cube, a generous squirt of garlic puree and a teaspoon of chocolate drops in a cup of water, and pour into the SC.
Add a generous glass of red wine.
Carefully pour a tin of chopped tomatoes all over the meat to coat it.
Sprinkle thyme.

Cook on low for at least 5-6h.

An hour before you want to serve, make dumplings (4oz suet, 8oz self raising flour, generous pinch of salt, generous shake of chives or mixed herbs, enough water to bring together to a good dough) and place spread out on the stew. Lid back on as quickly as possible, and cook for 45mins or so.

SillyYak Wed 27-Sep-17 18:45:35

Cuban Black Beans--absolutely great for a party served with tortilla chips, cheese, salad and rice, and a good batch cook too: cookforgood.com/recipe/cuban-black-beans-recipe.html

MaMisled Wed 27-Sep-17 18:49:14

Casserole beef, garlic; herbs, mustard, tomatoes, red wine, gravy granules, paprika, new potatoes, carrot, parsnip, onion, mushroom and carrot. Oh....and cheesey dumplings!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »