Talk

Advanced search

Hundreds of cooking apples

(8 Posts)
boo1507 Thu 21-Sep-17 13:47:05

Looking for inspiration - have been gifted lots and lots of cooking apples. I've made a strudel, a crumble and am planning a cobbler. Any slightly more unusual ideas/recipes to inspire me?

averylongtimeago Thu 21-Sep-17 14:03:29

In the past I have frozen surplus apples. Also you could juice them and either freeze or bottle the juice. One friend has a gadget that dried fruit so you could do dried Apple rings.

Apple chutney? Apple and blackberry jam/jelly? Apple wine?
How many have you got?

averylongtimeago Thu 21-Sep-17 14:04:53

If you are bottling fresh juice you will need to sterilise it so it doesn't ferment - I have done this but can't remember the exact details

I’ve just made apple and mint jelly and apple pie vodka.

PhilODox Thu 21-Sep-17 14:07:03

Apple sauce/apple compote freezes very well, and if you freeze it in small portions (e.g. ice cube trays) you can use it as it defrosts pretty quickly, to have with pork, or plain yoghurt

ClaudiaWankleman Thu 21-Sep-17 14:10:12

I would part stew the apples and then freeze. Then you can have apple pie/ crumble all the way through the year.

ShesNoNormanPace Thu 21-Sep-17 18:55:40

I would chop and freeze in crumble sized portions. I don't bother peeling (Delia Smith said so) and have a potato chipper thing (https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Potato-Chipper-Vegetable-Machine/dp/B0001IWVO4) that works brilliantly for this.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:15:14

If you peel and slice, dip in a mild salt or vitamin C solution, then open freeze on baking trays before bagging, you get free flow frozen apples to use later, which don't go brown and don't need cooking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now