Talk

Advanced search

Baking for the tin

(8 Posts)
user1471523870 Mon 11-Sep-17 14:11:45

I am looking for inspiration here!
What sort of cakes/biscuits could I bake to be stored well in a tin?
Bit of context: we have a large tin in our kitchen that I love filling with home made little treats. Since I started doing this we stopped buying anything of that sort from the supermarket. The double benefit is that 1) I can bake more (:-)) 2) I know what goes into my food 3) It feels a bit special as my other half never knows what he will find in the tin.

This said, I am a bit stuck and I need more ideas. What I have done so fare are brownies (cut in small-ish squares), biscotti of different sorts and small shortcrust tartlets with nutella.

Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
ShotsFired Mon 11-Sep-17 14:16:42

flapjacks, rock cakes, fruit cake, malt loaf.

All firm favourites in my house and I will be round shortly before tea to test them for you. grin

user1471523870 Mon 11-Sep-17 14:24:36

Great suggestions, thanks! My OH loves flapjacks, I am wondering why I never thought about baking them.

OP’s posts: |
hippadoppaloppagorillapig Tue 19-Sep-17 21:31:01

Tiffin

Mugshotzforlunch Tue 19-Sep-17 21:37:39

12 year ds has just made battenburg shock even made the marzipan from scratch.
Shortbread, scones, butterfly buns, brownies, Victoria sponge, Viennese whirls, flapjack, jam tarts, malt loaf, coffee and walnut cake, date and walnut cake, Dundee cake, Bakewell tarts and cherry buns all go down well in our house.
Bit traditional and we need to experiment more but if it ain't broke...

MrsHathaway Tue 19-Sep-17 21:50:45

Shortbread. Plain or millionaire's.

Scones - small batches so they don't have a chance to go stale.

Gingerbread - the biscuit type and the cake type. Both keep very well.

creampie Tue 19-Sep-17 21:52:36

Macarons in all different colours

Blackcatonthesofa Tue 19-Sep-17 22:06:27

These speculaas biscuits from the netherlands are really nice. Just use cookie cutters and forget about the special molds.

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/quest-for-the-best-speculaas/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »