Talk

Advanced search

Cheap alternatives to shop-bought 'snacks'

(2 Posts)
queenofthedump Mon 11-Sep-17 10:03:37

Hi everyone,

My dd has just started reception and is having packed lunch three times per week. She is not a big eater and I find it difficult to get enough fruit into her, let alone any veg.

She likes shop-bought fruit snacks (fruit winders, skool bars, yoyo bears etc) but they're just so expensive. I am perfectly willing and able to provide homemade versions of these things and wondered if I could pinch everyone else's recipes please?

OP’s posts: |
Lostmyunicorn Mon 11-Sep-17 15:58:10

Go to the BBC good food website and search fruit leathers. There's a recipe somewhere on there that explains how to make them. Essentially you need to purée fruit until completely smooth then spread over parchment paper in v thin layer and bake at the lowest temp your oven can do for around 6-8 hours. It's not really baking it so much as dehydrating it. Whilst it's still slightly tacky take it out and cool slightly. If you want yoyos then curl them whilst still pliable. Maybe use the handle of a spoon or something much as you would when making brandy snaps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »