Talk

Advanced search

Hmmmm, so an Ancient Greek" cake. Any genius ideas?

(10 Posts)
Rabbitwoffle Thu 31-Aug-17 14:42:42

I am not above a pre-iced cake (stacked cakes?) from A Supermarket (Any recommendations?!) but cannot even begin to think of how to decorate it..(cack handed novice). Any simple ideas would be most welcome..

OP’s posts: |
DrMadelineMaxwell Thu 31-Aug-17 14:47:44

Columns around the cake?

Clembarrass Thu 31-Aug-17 14:49:06

I would decorate it like a pot/vase. So very dark chocolate ganache and then cut shapes out of orange fondant icing to go on top and round the sides. (also clumsy novice, but I think I could manage something).

HoneyWheeler Thu 31-Aug-17 14:49:29

Oooh I teach Ancient Greece to primary kids and I love it! You could do a myth themed cake - Arachne the Weaver, Hercules and a lion, a Cyclops from the Odyssey, Mount Olympus? Oooh or Pandora's Box? Or even Medusa?

ponderingprobably Thu 31-Aug-17 14:51:07

Make a round cake into 'Medusa'. Face with icing pens from bakery isle. Liquorice snakes for the snake hair.

ponderingprobably Thu 31-Aug-17 14:51:31

X post.

trixymalixy Thu 31-Aug-17 14:54:34

I'd decorate it like a broken greek column.

Ttbb Thu 31-Aug-17 14:55:24

So many options. Easiest would probably be to just ice it and buy figurines. Maybe a seascape with a boat? Many myths to choose from on this front. If you really want some wow factor use edible gold for the Golden Fleece. Just pipe out swirls to give it a woolly texture and the spray, sprinkle and dust away!

NomenOmen Thu 31-Aug-17 15:23:39

You could pipe a continuous/seamless Greek pattern around the side of a white-iced cake and then write a Greek phrase on top like "γνῶθι σεαυτόν" (know thyself - motto from Delphi) or (more long-winded) "ὡς τὸ δεῖπνον αὐτοῖς ἐστ᾽ ἐπεσκευασμένον ἁπαξάπασιν" (so the meal is ready for everyone - from Aristophanes' Ecclesiazusae).

Easy, cheap, and maximum smugness. grin

Rabbitwoffle Thu 31-Aug-17 21:21:07

Goodness, you lot are all so creative! Love these ideas. I might try combining the Greek pattern/phrase with a couple of figurines..love the medusa and golden fleece ideas too.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »