Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me with your surprisingly easy but disproportionately effective recipes?

(95 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 24-Aug-17 19:22:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
LadyPeterWimsey Thu 24-Aug-17 19:29:28

Are we talking puddings or main courses or anything?

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 24-Aug-17 19:29:49

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 24-Aug-17 19:31:16

Smidge001 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:32:54

Can't you buy something good from Waitrose/M&S and decant it into your own dish? I've even done that before with an M&S vegetable pasta bake which (although should be easy to make myself) tastes fantastic, and saved so much time when I was busy trying to clean the house for visitors!! Grated a bit of extra cheese on top and foil over. Voila!! grin

Chottie Thu 24-Aug-17 19:33:24

Barbados Cream

Put organic full fat yogurt into individual glass dishes. Sprinkle the top with soft brown sugar and leave in the fridge overnight. It is delicious and so easy smile

Misstomrs Thu 24-Aug-17 19:35:26

What about Melanzane Parmigiana - yummy and a crowd pleaser as it's veggie, serve with a 'pesto' salad of rocket, pine nuts and grated parmigiana - or a homemade cheesecake with a range of fresh fruit / berries? Easy as, but everyone loves it.

Good luck!

ferriswheel Thu 24-Aug-17 19:35:29

Rillettes of Duck by Delia.

All the hard work happens before the party. It takes a while to prepare but it is truly impressive. Read through the recipe and you'll see the jobs you have to do are manageable.

I'd buy more duck breast than two actual ducks but that's cos I hate pulling the bits off the carcass.

Nigella's coca cola ham is also delicious.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 24-Aug-17 19:35:39

My go-to is always key lime pie. I use Nigella's chocolate key lime pie recipe which has a biscuit base, and you just whip up the filling and splat it in. A bit of lime zest and grated chocolate, and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover. Always gets compliments, and is truly easy.

Last time I used her Oreo biscuit base from another recipe and that added another level of wow, but you can't make that too far in advance or it goes soggy.

Will try to think of some others.

Chottie Thu 24-Aug-17 19:35:47

Smidge has just reminded me, if you have a COOK shop near you, you can take your own serving dishes along and the COOK staff will cook your chosen recipe in your dish. You just collect and pay and pass it off as your own

ferriswheel Thu 24-Aug-17 19:36:12

Jamie Oliver's lemon possets.

Allergictoironing Thu 24-Aug-17 19:36:53

Quiche? Quick & easy to make, and you can even buy ready made pastry cases (who me, cheat?). Tarts can look impressive and again simple - my emergency go-to is a Kent speciality called Gypsy Tart which is possibly the easiest dessert to make, literally whisk up brown sugar & exap milk for 15 mins, then pour into a (blind baked) pastry case & bake for 15 mins grin

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Thu 24-Aug-17 19:36:55

Trifle - so easy but always looks amazing and always goes down well.

Nigella's chocolate Guinness cake - king of cakes.

A load of sausage rolls, snazzed up with different herbs, chutney etc? Haven't done this, but can imagine it going down a storm.

Watermelon and feta salad

Frozen berries with hot white chocolate sauce

Illstartexercisingtomorrow Thu 24-Aug-17 19:37:05

A selection of 'homemade' cupcakes- plain fairy cakes from Tesco, ready made buttercream. Just decide on 3 flavours and decorate. E.g. Cinnamon powder mixed into the icing, in a piping bag swirl it on and stick something colourful on top like some orange zest. Chocolate icing and sprinkle with flakes. Mix cream cheese into the icing and add fresh blueberries on top so it's a cheeecake cake.

It is easy peasy but looks amazing if you put it all together in a cake stand.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 24-Aug-17 19:37:58

Mushroom pate, courtesy of a Mumsnetter have forgotten which one

Mushroom Pate - serves 10-12 as a canape

250g mushrooms
30g butter
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
250g cream cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

clean and trim the mushrooms and chop them finely
heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat
drop in the mushrooms and garlic and saute, stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until all the moisture the mushrooms release has evaporated - leave to cool for a few minutes
blitz the mushrooms in a food processor until smooth then add the cream cheese and blitz again till well blended
season to taste and then leave to cool completely
refrigerate for at least an hour for the garlic flavour to develop
serve in generous dollops on crostini or triangles of toast
this pate keeps well in the fridge for up to a week

Recipe courtesy of The Guardian and I can promise that it is gorgeous!

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 24-Aug-17 19:39:22

Mary Berry's jewelled couscous salad - looks amazing

Allergictoironing Thu 24-Aug-17 19:40:33

Oh just noticed nibbles may do. Buy some ready made puff pastry, roll out & add shed loads of grated cheese, roll the cheese in (a few times folding & rolling out again), cut into strips & twist before baking - voila home made cheese straws.

Alternately roll out & cover with the grated cheese, roll into a swiss roll type shape & cut into slices so you get little palmentier rounds.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 24-Aug-17 19:40:43

Doea it have to be ok served cold or can it be a hot dish?

Eminybob Thu 24-Aug-17 19:41:41

Ainsley harriot's curry in a hurry (can't remember which book it's from)

It's my go-to curry and dh prefers it to a takeaway. Really easy too. Uses shop bought curry paste (I use pataks) but otherwise all homemade.

NouveauBitch Thu 24-Aug-17 19:43:09

10 minute couscous salad

Nigella chocolate lime cake with margarita cream

These are the most impressive easy things I do. If you're up for a bit more faff and can use an oven for 15 minutes on arrival then this baked Camembert crown is pretty fucking awesome.

Lucked Thu 24-Aug-17 19:44:14

Fay Riley does an Easy Bakewell Cake (google recipe) which is super easy, delicious and doesn't need decorating.

You could make pulled pork if you have a slow cooker, you only have to shred it make a sauce and most are really straightforward and centred around ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 24-Aug-17 19:50:33

Yy to Nigella's chocolate lime cake, and also to baked Camembert. (I like your style, NouveauBitch.)

Also, I have had much success with one of her chocolate cloud cakes - I think I used the recipe for the Easter one, and filled it with other chocolate rather than mini eggs. It's gluten-free, and surprisingly light for something so chocolate-y. And because it is meant to sink in the middle and be covered up with cream, you don't need to worry about it collapsing as all my cakes seem to do.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 24-Aug-17 19:58:06

This is very grown-up, and easy to make if you can bring something hot.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 24-Aug-17 20:08:50

My smoked oyster dip is to die for and soooo easy:

Two tins of smoked oysters, oil and all
500g Philadelphia cream cheese
Juice of 1 lemon

Whiz with hand blender or mash with fork.

Serve with crackers/biscuits of your choice.

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 24-Aug-17 20:12:06

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »