Talk

Advanced search

Plums!

(7 Posts)
getoffthesofa Thu 17-Aug-17 15:10:32

I have a glut of plums, but a large number have a maggot and/or some kind of rot (yellow fungusy dots and causing them to shrivel), some however are perfect. I am chucking the brown fungusy ones obvs, but in the process of halving and freezing the others. I am removing the maggots and washing off the good flesh. Will be making chutney eventually, but wanted to save as many as poss. Is this ok/disgusting? Should I only freeze the perfect ones? Seems such a waste.

I'm wondering what to do with ours at the moment. I'm not a great fan and there's only so many dh can eat - will they freeze OK?

We get that fungusy rot too. No maggots though thankfully.

Theworldisfullofidiots Thu 17-Aug-17 15:19:37

Plum sorbet. V delicious.

getoffthesofa Thu 17-Aug-17 15:35:59

They freeze great de-stoned, but a bit wetter when you cook with them. I am up to 6kg so far - prob will get another 6 if I am not too fussy.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Mon 21-Aug-17 22:01:10

The maggots are probably the baby of the plum moth. When you cut the plum open you not only find the maggot but also their poo <vom>. Kudos to you, I never managed to clean the bad bits off and one year we had to chuck must of the harvest. Never had them since using plum moths traps though.

You could make jam or cook them to make a crumble base, then freeze.

handslikecowstits Tue 22-Aug-17 14:35:21

We've made wine this year. (God help us!)

This is the recipe, if you're interested. allotmentheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/plum-wine-easy-recipe.html

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 26-Aug-17 00:55:57

They'll be fine. If you make chutney any dodgy bacteria are controlled by heat ( cooking), pH ( acidity from vinegar) and brix ( sugar).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now