Talk

Advanced search

Stuck in a serious food rut please inspire me!

(10 Posts)
BreakHerOffAKitKat Tue 15-Aug-17 08:59:15

As the title says - I am stuck in a rut and would love some ideas on some different dishes that I can add to the repertoire!

I have an incredibly fussy DH and slightly less fussy DSD (13) and DD (18mths). We tend to avoid any meat dishes that require too much chewing (DH doesn't have great teeth). I have a list of recipes that are tried and tested and I know will be eaten and I try to throw in something new every couple of weeks to see if they like it but I am at the point where I have run out of ideas and I am sick of going to the effort of finding new recipes, buying ingredients and spending time making something that ends up being pushed around plates or chucked on the floor (by DD not DH!) None of them like things like jacket potato or omelettes.

I am happy to try anything so having such a limited cycle of dishes is becoming tiresome.

To give you an idea of what will be eaten and enjoyed, our meal plan is based on a rotation of these dinners:

Chilli - either with rice or doritos and dips
Meatloaf with mash, veg and gravy
Meatballs with pasta
Pizza
Lasagne / Bolgnaise with garlic bread and salad
Creamy lemon chicken pasta with garlic bread
Salmon Pesto Pasta with peas and spinach
Crab and Chilli linguine
Paella
Cooked Breakfast
Curry (from the takeaway, I have tired various recipes but they don't like my curries!)
Carbonara
Steamed Ginger Garlic Cod with stirfry veg and rice
Roast dinner (chicken, beef or slow cooked gammon joint)
Pie and mash
Chicken & Potato foil packs
Sausage Pasta
Paper chicken (chicken in that herby parchment paper) with homemade wedges and sweetcorn
Fajitas
Sausage & Mash
Shephards Pie
Cowboy Pie (like shepherds pie with beans and worcester sauce)

None of us particularly like pork or lamb.

All of the above is homemade from scratch (with the exception of curry) and I am happy to give anything a go.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
4merlyknownasSHD Tue 15-Aug-17 12:24:34

Cod wrapped in Palma Ham/Prosciutto done in the oven wrapped in foil, perhaps with a few capers. Serve with Puy lentils and steamed greens.
Ready rolled puff pastry scattered with cheese, onion, tomato, bacon bits, mushrooms, herbs (any or all of the above).
White fish like Pouting (cheap) or Whiting done in egg and breadcrumbs and fried.
Asparagus and pea risotto.
Meatballs in gravy and tomato puree mix (I incorporate bread chopped/torn in to very small pieces in the meatball which holds it together but makes it much softer than without).

woollyminded Tue 15-Aug-17 12:38:39

One of our favourites is bashed garlic chicken (partner has dyslexia, everything in our house has to have very literal names!)

Whack chicken breasts to thin them out a bit. Dip in beaten egg then into a mix of half breadcrumbs and half Parmesan. Give it a good squish to get the crumbs all sticking on there. Fry gently in some olive oil, turn (carefully) once. About 4 mins each side. At last minute add knob of butter and some crushed garlic and spoon that all over so everyone gets a bit of garlicky goodness.

Comes out like a back-to-front chicken Kiev, nice with a salad.

BreakHerOffAKitKat Tue 15-Aug-17 12:57:35

Oh thank you both - every suggestion there sounds great and also easy. I will add them in to the mix and see what happens!

PinkHeart5911 Tue 15-Aug-17 13:07:14

This is nice www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3147690/chorizo-and-chickpea-stew

This is also lovely www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2220657/creamy-chicken-with-asparagus-and-tarragon

Sweet chilli salmon with either sweet potato mash & broccoli or veg & noodles

Fish cakes ( real easy to home make) with sweet potato wedges and veg

Pulled chicken www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pulled_chicken_with_96680

Stuff chicken breast with cream cheese & sundries tomatoes then wrap in bacon. Have with veg rice, corn cobs or wedges and corn cobs

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 15-Aug-17 16:18:42

Sausage casserole
Toad in the hole
Paprika chicken and pepper skewers
Falafel in pita with salad
Baked Gnocchi in a spicy tomato sauce topped with mozzarella
Tuna pasta bake
Spinach and ricotta cannelloni
Enchiladas
Quaesidilla
Stuffed peppers
Fish pie
Cod fillets marinated in a mix of yoghurt and curry paste then baked. For the final 5 mins spread the tops with mango chutney and bake.

woollyminded Tue 15-Aug-17 16:52:43

I'm going to use a bunch of these myself

BreakHerOffAKitKat Wed 16-Aug-17 08:21:23

They all sound delicious thank you all so much, can't wait to try them.

AtleastitsnotMonday the thought of curried cod with mango chutney is making me drool, that is first to try!

rockshandy Wed 16-Aug-17 08:28:56

If they like meatballs with spaghetti then change it up. We have meatball subs or I do meatballs with mashed potatoes and ikea gravy and veg.

I am watching with interest though as I am also in a food rut and need some ideas.

WaxOnFeckOff Wed 16-Aug-17 08:40:35

This is delicious:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167651/chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya

Gammon or bacon steaks with egg wedges and peas or with Cauliflower & Brocolli cheese or macaroni cheese and veg.

Home made pizza

spicy chicken drumsticks/thighs served with plain/veggie risotto or pilaff

Hairy Bikers Spanish Chicken

Beef/mince cobbler

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »