Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with too much ground and sliced almonds?

(29 Posts)
StepAwayFromCake Sun 13-Aug-17 20:57:29

I've got about 350g ground almonds and about 150g sliced almonds. I don't think they're stale, exactly, just don't taste nice. They're well within date.

It totally goes against the grain to throw them away, so how can I use them up? Needs to be something fairly flavoursome, not marzipan.

The only thing I can think of is Bakewell Tart. Any other suggestions? Perhaps something savoury?

OP’s posts: |
Katsite Sun 13-Aug-17 21:02:09

Not savory but my suggestion is muesli. I chuck nuts oats fruit and yogurt together at night and eat the next morning. Or any time of the day really.

Hawkmoth Sun 13-Aug-17 21:07:46

Romesco sauce! I saw it on Saturday kitchen and it's a revelation.

Blend roasted red peppers from a jar with garlic, salt, pepper and enough ground almonds to make it thick.

Spoon over meat or fish and stick in the oven. There was a near fight over the last turkey steak when I made this for the kids.

spiderbabymum Sun 13-Aug-17 21:09:30

Bakewell tart ?

FlaviaAlbia Sun 13-Aug-17 21:10:35

They do go off so if they don't taste nice I wouldn't bother doing anything to them. Whatever you make will be tainted by the nuts.

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Sun 13-Aug-17 21:10:54

Chicken korma or add to pesto

MissSmiley Sun 13-Aug-17 21:10:55

I make crumble with half ground almonds half flour and you could put the flaked almonds on top

mikado1 Sun 13-Aug-17 21:11:00

Grain free nutty granola, granola bars, chicken tikka!

Silverthorn Sun 13-Aug-17 21:14:40

Chocolate brownies.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 13-Aug-17 21:16:31

Chocolate cake. I make a Nigella one (I think it is a Nigella) with almonds instead of flour. It's soooooo good.

StepAwayFromCake Sun 13-Aug-17 21:19:52

OMG the Romesco sauce sounds awesome!

I make a small amount, if the not so nice taste comes through then I will give up on them.

If they're stale, they will taste bad cooked, too. If I'm just fussy, they should taste fine cooked.

OP’s posts: |
ralphi Sun 13-Aug-17 21:21:54

Jamie Olivers trappani sauce which is a mix of a napoli and pesto and uses ground alomomds. Basically you cook tomatoes, onion garlic and puree them adding the almonds and parmesan.

Laska5772 Sun 13-Aug-17 21:22:24

I make a take on Salsa Mojo Rojo with ground almonds rather than breadcrumbs ( its a sauce from the Canaries you put on potatoes but i use it on allsorts of stuff and for dipping.. I am a 'bung it' cook so cant tell you proper measurements ..but you are intending to have something looser than hummus).

You need a jar of red peppers (or roast 6 or 8 red peppers and skin them ,) put in blender.
add 150g ground almonds
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 tspns of smoked paprika
a big glug of extra virgin olive oil
tablespoon of red vinegar
sea salt and black pepper

Blend.. and taste, add more paprika . oil, vinegar almonds etc as liked (maybe a splash of tabasco )

( you may well need more liquid.. if using a jar of roasted red peppers i'd put some of the liquid from those in also , but so tend to a start with less liquid, if its too runny add more ground almonds

This is great as a dip with new potatoes . on fish, on bread and on loads of other things.. Its also really nice if you add in roasted tomatoes also ( youll need less liquid if you do.. ) or a dollop of sun dried tomato paste.

Sorry its not more precise .. . it does keep well in fridge if you can stop yourself eating it!)

FlaviaAlbia Sun 13-Aug-17 21:25:43

They don't go stale so much as bitter. It's the oil in them that goes off.

Genghi Sun 13-Aug-17 21:28:51

Use it in pesto
Boil with milk sugar and saffron for an Indian inspired milkshake
Use it to thicken sauces
Use it to make macarons

Genghi Sun 13-Aug-17 21:29:30

Oh and you could just keep whizzing it in a food processor and turn it into nut butter

Onthehighseas Sun 13-Aug-17 21:33:58

Make this with the ground almonds.

It's divine.

RallyRoundTheFlagBoys Sun 13-Aug-17 21:38:05

Mary Berrys cherry Bakewell cupcakes are epic. They will use up your ground almonds.

RallyRoundTheFlagBoys Sun 13-Aug-17 21:38:32

(Some of your ground almonds)

RedSandYellowSand Sun 13-Aug-17 21:39:29

Cherry cake with 1/4 of the flour replaced with ground almonds.

YellowLawn Sun 13-Aug-17 21:39:42

crumble topping

RallyRoundTheFlagBoys Sun 13-Aug-17 21:40:10

Pineapple turkey meatball curry (bbc good food) is fab too.

franke Sun 13-Aug-17 21:43:52

Oh yes, the chocolate cake. It's called Caprese. Or add to creamy curry sauces just before serving.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 13-Aug-17 21:53:21

BeRo Macroons. Loved making and eating these as a child.

redcaryellowcar Sun 13-Aug-17 21:59:21

Mary berry rich fruit cake recipe? Or nigellas lemon polenta cake (for the ground ones)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »