Talk

Advanced search

Can we talk cheese cake? Advice

(14 Posts)
DirtyDancing Wed 09-Aug-17 21:23:26

I'm normally a pudding cheat. I buy them in for dinner parities. I'm determined to up my game!

4 friends coming over, so first attempt I'll be keeping it simple with a lemon cheese cake.

But I can't decide on the best recipe

Philadelphia or Mascarpone?
Caster sugar or icing sugar? [Won' caster be grainy?]
One lemon or two? Some recipes say 2 if you like it lemony, which I do, but won't it make it too runny?

Thank you for your help! cake

OP’s posts: |
McTufty Wed 09-Aug-17 21:27:26

I use mascarpone and icing sugar for my famous strawberry cheesecake! Always goes down a treat!

StepAwayFromCake Wed 09-Aug-17 21:31:17

Baked, chilled, or gelatine?

If baked, caster is fine. Otherwise icing sugar.

Whatever you do, if you use Philly, strain it first. Line bowl with a clean, ironed cloth, eg tea towel or pillowcase, tip the cheese in, gather up all the corners and edges, then twist tightly to extract the whey. Then open the cloth up again, break the ball of cheese into 4, rotate the pieces so that the inside is now on the outside, gather up the cloth and squeeze again. This will prevent your cheesecake being sloppy and will help the set.

Sorry, but can't remember the proportion of lemon to cheese.

Crispbutty Wed 09-Aug-17 21:33:12

Use lemon jelly, icing sugar and cream cheese

Crispbutty Wed 09-Aug-17 21:33:47

I made this one today

DirtyDancing Wed 09-Aug-17 21:35:49

Chilled.

DirtyDancing Wed 09-Aug-17 21:36:28

Chrisp that looks lovely do you have a recipe ?

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 09-Aug-17 21:36:30

I always make the BBC food Baileys cheesecake. It comes out great each time and only tastes a little like Baileys, not overpowering. I swap out normal digestives for chocolate ones because you get a crisper base.

villainousbroodmare Wed 09-Aug-17 21:36:30

Can't tell you how many lemons, but can tell you to use zest as well as juice to maximise lemoniness without making it too liquid. So maybe zest of two lemons but juice of one.

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 09-Aug-17 21:37:19

I never strain the philly, but I do make sure I drain any liquid off when I take off the lid, before adding it to the bowl.

Oncewaswho Wed 09-Aug-17 21:37:41

I made a baked (well, Instant Potted, so steamed) one last week with Philly, double cream, caster sugar and the zest of half a lemon and half an orange (no juice). Two eggs. This was for a 7" biscuit based one. Flavour was divine and set was perfect, I didn't strain the Philly.

DirtyDancing Wed 09-Aug-17 21:55:20

Thanks everyone picking up some great tips. Choc digestives; lemon zest; icing sugar and mascarpone it is. Off to find a recipe bril!

Crispbutty Wed 09-Aug-17 22:04:21

I used plain digestives, ground ginger and butter for the base. No sugar.

Mixed the cream cheese with icing sugar then added grated orange zest, dissolved half an orange jelly in a little hot water, cooled it with a little cold water and added that and then added the double cream. Put it in the fridge for an hour. Topped with mandarin slices and choc chips.

villainousbroodmare Thu 10-Aug-17 14:36:29

That sounds great! I have a dreadful oven so have become a cheescakeaholic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »