Talk

Advanced search

What would you do with 120g elderberries?

(18 Posts)
kingfishergreen Tue 01-Aug-17 22:48:15

I couldn't resist them, but have no idea what I should do with them?

Gin?
Vodka?
Jelly?

OP’s posts: |
MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 01-Aug-17 22:50:46

After the revolting jam we made from some, I say tip them in the bin! Get there earlier next year for elderflowers and make cordial - it's easy and delicious.

Sorry that's not much help. Hopefully someone will be along in a minute who is more use.

kingfishergreen Tue 01-Aug-17 23:05:04

To be honest, most things that I make in a crafty/unusual/foraging sort of way are pretty vile.

I can cook meals, not so good at specialities.

MrsNai Tue 01-Aug-17 23:08:23

Elderberry gin is rather good.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 01-Aug-17 23:09:21

grin

I did make some of the jam into a sauce for duck. It had a slightly earthy flavour to it.

PickAChew Tue 01-Aug-17 23:09:47

120g isn't a lot. I'd just try a small batch of cordial.

kingfishergreen Tue 01-Aug-17 23:17:04

You're right pick it's enough to flavour something, but not as the core ingredient in anything (like jam... thank God, a so hear that's horrid 😃).

I might cook them, add them with sugar to gin in a Kilner jar Instagram every stage and decant (strained) into a little bottle, and then leave it until it grows a thin layer of green mouldy some time in 2022.

But, and brace yourselves, I don't like Gin gin but I do like sloe gin...

kingfishergreen Tue 01-Aug-17 23:17:47

I think it's fair to say I like the idea of foraging better than I like the outcome.

PickAChew Wed 02-Aug-17 00:05:35

I poured some blackcurrant vodka down the loo, the other week.

It had gone brown!

Wormulonian Wed 02-Aug-17 09:13:08

Pontack sauce:
andhereweare.net/making-pontack-sauce-elderberry-ketchup/

theothersideoftheworld Wed 02-Aug-17 09:15:02

Elderberry and lemon cake.

< I have no idea how to make this but someone was talking about making one the other day and it sounded delicious >

ProfYaffle Wed 02-Aug-17 09:17:22

Personally I find elderberries far too strong on their own. I often use a small amount - 50g or so - to add to jam or cordial made with dark fruit like blackberries or plums. Adds a real richness to the flavour. If blackberries aren't quite ripe near you yet just chuck them in the freezer til you're ready.

MrsPestilence Wed 02-Aug-17 09:20:29

Pontack sauce it is hardcore seasoning.

Lessstressedhemum Wed 02-Aug-17 10:22:18

I would make then into a tissane and use as a Base for elderberry cough and cold syrup.

FlukeSkyeRunner Thu 03-Aug-17 06:57:04

Use them to add flavour to an apple pie or crumble. You can freeze then until you want to use them.

Ecclesiastes Thu 03-Aug-17 06:59:16

Put them in the compost.

sandgrown Thu 03-Aug-17 06:59:56

I think you can make elderberry wine but you would need more berries.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 28-Aug-17 11:42:22

Pontack sauce ( although you need more) or hedgerow jelly - elderberries, blackberries, rose hips, Rowan berries, hawthorn- pretty much anything but must have crab apple or apple to get it to set. Cook together with a bit of water, strain through a cloth then equal amounts juice to sugar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »