Talk

Advanced search

Icing a rose gold wedding cake

(8 Posts)
Synecdoche Tue 01-Aug-17 15:24:12

Great - thanks bendy. I've stuck the cheapest bottle of vodka on the tesco shop and DP is a bit hmm

OP’s posts: |
BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 01-Aug-17 14:42:10

Hmm I would get 2-3 pots... I am terrible with estimates though but I think it would definitely take more than 1 pot, and you don't want to run out!

Synecdoche Mon 31-Jul-17 20:04:09

bendy what kind of coverage do you get from that little packet? I've got the sides of 12", 10" and 8" cakes to paint so wondering how much I'll need.

Synecdoche Mon 31-Jul-17 20:00:33

Great! Thank you for the link bendy . I will have a look for those too, thanks pink smile

PinkGlitter17 Mon 31-Jul-17 17:20:20

Mich Turner lustre paints are sold by Silver Spoon. I wonder if she has a rose gold one? And wilko sell a brilliant gold spray by a company called Cake Decor.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 31-Jul-17 17:16:45

Whenever I'm doing this I use vodka (or lemon/rose extract etc that is mainly alcohol), mixed with lustre dust to make a paint.

e.g. this - tip out a bit, mix with a few drops alcohol to form a liquid, paint on.

Then once dry, buff with a nice fluffy (unused, obviously) blusher brush.

Make sure your fondant is lovely and smooth as it does make any imperfections show up smile

Synecdoche Mon 31-Jul-17 17:09:59

Hopeful evening bump!?

Synecdoche Mon 31-Jul-17 07:20:56

I currently have four tiers of wedding cake nestled in the back of my pan cupboard, enjoying generous weekly feeds with brandy. Lucky things.

In a few weeks' time I will need to ice the cakes in time for DSis' wedding. I have got standard marzipan and white fondant icing.

I am planning to 'paint' the sides rose gold, rather than have the traditional ribbon, and am wondering what is the best product to do this with - spray, edible glitter, cake paint...? The cake has to be transported after decorating so it needs to be fairly robust.

If anyone has any recommendations for tried and tested rose gold products they would be received with abundant thanks!

cakecakecake

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in