Talk

Advanced search

Meals that keep well in the fridge

(5 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Thu 27-Jul-17 12:28:53

Hi,

My 18 month old son will be going to nursery once a week during the holidays. I'm planning on doing lots of cooking on that day so that we all have things to eat during the week and I don't have to cook every day.

What keeps well in the fridge and for how long?

Looking for main meals, light lunches and snacks! Freezing not really option.

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
Wormulonian Thu 27-Jul-17 16:14:39

Most Gujarati/Indian curries keep well as do stews, chilli and tagines - the flavour often improves after a day. If using rice to go with them I would make that fresh.

Calphurnia Thu 27-Jul-17 16:16:03

Frittata?

Crispdeficiency Thu 27-Jul-17 16:28:43

The flavour of chilli improves the next day; same with most casseroles. Personally, I only keep things for three days in the fridge though.

Soups keep well for lunch.

I buy two different types of melon for snacks and peel and chop them in to cubes and then keep in airtight container with lemon juice and a tiny bit of sugar; this last for three days.

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 27-Jul-17 19:23:01

I made a pasta bake on Monday that was finished off tonight and still tasted great.
Onions, garlic, mushrooms, red and yellow peppers fried off with some chopped bacon. Add a tin of chilli beans, can of chopped tomatoes, a bit of tomato purée, good glug of balsamic and some mixed Italian herbs. Let it all cook down for a bit then add cooked pasta. Put in oven proof dish and top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 mins.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »