Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake filling

(4 Posts)
sofreakingtired Thu 27-Jul-17 10:49:46

This is possibly an age old question but please excuse me as I am absolutely no baker!

A friend is making two plain square sponges for me to fill and decorate for my DD's first birthday. Is it better/easier to fill with buttercream and jam, or whipped cream and jam? It will be done the day before her party.

Also, how easy is it to cover a cake with white icing? I have bits and bobs to decorate it with already.

I have visions of this going spectacularly wrong! Any help would be much appreciated...

FairfaxAikman Thu 27-Jul-17 10:51:59

If you are inexperienced with icing, I'd go all buttercream in and out personally.
Fondant is a faff to work with if you are not used to it (I still have arguments with it from time to time)

CakeUpWall Thu 27-Jul-17 10:55:30

Definitely buttercream. If you use whipped cream, then the cake will need to be refrigerated. In addition to being a pain fridge-space wise, chilling it will negatively affect the texture of the sponge (unless you let it come completely back up to room temp before serving.)

sofreakingtired Thu 27-Jul-17 11:59:29

Fantastic, thanks - buttercream it is!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »