Talk

Advanced search

Blackcurrent receip please

(9 Posts)
Foreverhopeful22 Wed 26-Jul-17 16:56:09

I bought today as they were on offer and they are bloody sour and I mean I've tasted sweeter lemon.

I'm no chef but don't want to throw away. Any simple ideas and i mean simple

OP’s posts: |
Foreverhopeful22 Wed 26-Jul-17 18:00:49

Anyone

OP’s posts: |
ThinkOfTheHorses Wed 26-Jul-17 18:03:29

Soak them in water and sugar to sweeten them up and then have over yoghurt?

Swifey Wed 26-Jul-17 19:03:47

Make a compot out of them. Put in a saucepan, add some sugar and a touch of water, some cinnamon or ginger would be nice too. Bubble on v low and taste for sweetness, add more sugar if needed. Can be used as jam, on yoghurt or pancakes, or on porridge. Delicious!

PrettyLittleBrownEyedMe Fri 28-Jul-17 15:01:52

It's surprisingly hard to find nice recipes for blackcurrants - but I've got one for a blackcurrant and chocolate chip cake which is really nice and very unusual. Let me know if you still want it and I can dig it out, but I expect you've thrown them out made a compote with them already...

Blondie1984 Sat 29-Jul-17 01:45:08

Make summer pudding

AwkwardSquad Sun 30-Jul-17 10:04:21

They need to be cooked with sugar, they're no good raw.

I make a compote out of them. Cook down with a tiny bit of water and a bit of sugar, pass though a sieve. Delicious with yoghurt, ice cream or in a blackcurrant fool.

You probably don't have to sieve them if they're bought ones and don't have the little stalks. I grow them and can't be bothered to de-stalk (or completely de-twig and de-leaf then to be honest) them, hence the pressing through a sieve.

illegitimateMortificadospawn Sun 30-Jul-17 10:11:56

Where did you buy them? They are so hard to find in the shops, I woukd love to get my hands on some.

As others have said, they are for cooking with (culinary) more than a dessert fruit (sweet enough to be eaten in own). I make blackcurrant & vanilla curd when I am lucky enough to lay my hands on them. This recipe looks sensible: daydreamingfoodie.com/making-blackcurrant-curd/ I would add 1tsp vanilla essence. Google threw up a wanky Waitrose one with millions of eggs & totally superfluous creme de cassis, so I'd avoid that one.

AwkwardSquad Sun 30-Jul-17 12:48:55

I've seen them in Sainsbury's, I think, and a local greengrocer, but they're quite expensive. £1.75 for a little punnet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »