Talk

Advanced search

Cake recipe calls for food processor but I don't have one?!

(14 Posts)
LiquoriceWheel Mon 17-Jul-17 12:47:28

I've just purchased a beautiful stand mixer but lots of beginner cake recipes seem to call for food processors a lot.

Can I still use my stand mixer? When the recipe says to 'pulse' ingredients can I just turn the mixer on and off or will this wreck the 'anatomy' of the cake? Please advise me, master bakers! cakecakecake

OP’s posts: |
MrsOverTheRoad Mon 17-Jul-17 14:52:20

I just use a wooden spoon or whisk and always have! I've been making cakes for 30 years and never used a food processor.

What recipe are you looking at at the moment?

StylishDuck Mon 17-Jul-17 14:54:04

I've never used a food processor for cakes. Either hand mix or use an electric whisk. I'm jealous of your stand mixer. As soon as I have a kitchen big enough I'm buying one.

PickAChew Mon 17-Jul-17 14:54:44

If it's flour and butter or similar, then it probably just needs rubbing in.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques/rubbing_in

Ameliablue Mon 17-Jul-17 14:55:05

What are you trying to make?

Honkyzeke Mon 17-Jul-17 15:03:18

Always just use my stand mixer for cakes, never needed a food processor for cakes not really sure why you would. What particular recipe are you looking at?

LiquoriceWheel Tue 18-Jul-17 09:39:11

Thanks for the replies. I'm making a banana cake. I'll be using a blender to purée the bananas.

OP’s posts: |
Eminybob Tue 18-Jul-17 09:44:56

I find that the more the bananas are mashed/puréed, the heavier the cake is.
I chop the bananas into tiny dice rather than mash, it makes for a much lighter cake.

Eminybob Tue 18-Jul-17 09:45:40

Oh and I just hand mix with a wooden spoon.

pengymum Tue 18-Jul-17 09:59:01

I'd just use the mixer to mash up the bananas. Less washing up! No need to use separate Blender. Then I add the rest of ingredients and mix gently. Not too much as cake will be heavy if overmixed. Make sure your butter is soft not hard though otherwise it won't mix properly. Unless you're using oil! 😀

Ameliablue Tue 18-Jul-17 15:05:51

You shouldn't need a processor for a banana cake. The stand mixer should be sufficient.

StylishDuck Tue 18-Jul-17 23:59:34

I just give the banana a quick mash with a fork and then add it in using the mixer or a wooden spoon. No need to faff about with a blender, less washing up xx

StylishDuck Wed 19-Jul-17 00:00:14

Didn't mean to put kisses blush MN faux pas there!

FlukeSkyeRunner Wed 26-Jul-17 07:50:45

A potato masher does wonders with a banana - much easier than mashing with a fork.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »