Talk

Advanced search

Any Nigerians around who know about Jollof rice and Jerk chicken

(11 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Thu 13-Jul-17 07:54:06

We're having 20 people over for food. For some of them I have to make jollof rice/jerk chicken

Questions:

1. Can I make this in advance?
2. Can it be eaten cold ? The rest of the food is whatever M and S sells to be opened on the table and not cooked at all
3. I don't eat chicken. For ethical reasons I will only buy free range/organic from the local butchers - it's very expensive. Do I need to buy more than one piece per person - is jerk chicken eaten casually ie. lots of it ? Or is it ok for one piece each and plenty of other cheaper stuff?

OP’s posts: |
MrsSchadenfreude Thu 13-Jul-17 07:58:01

Jerk is Jamaican, not Nigerian! I would say a leg each would be fine. But if you want an authentic Nigerian meal, why don't you make Suya with the jollof rice? Or groundnut Stew?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 13-Jul-17 08:09:26

Because they're Londoners/Ghanaian/Nigerians/possibly 1 is Caribbean? grin

They eat masses of chicken at team meals, they go out at lunchtime to buy from the cheap chicken shops.

I kind of have to make a chickeny thing to go with it

SillyMoomin Thu 13-Jul-17 08:10:26

As ^^ you're mixing up your countries hmm

You could do a Nigerian chicken stew to go with the Jollof if you want?, or suya as mentioned is yum!!

Goat is lovely too, good flavour, could make a big pot of it, then people can help themselves?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 13-Jul-17 08:10:48

I've googled Suya and the Jamie Oliver recipe says not too tricky - is it nice?

SillyMoomin Thu 13-Jul-17 08:11:41

Delicious!!! And can be eaten just wandering around biting it off the stick.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 13-Jul-17 08:12:54

Have either of you made the Jamie Oliver recipe?

I'm quite keen on this suya thing - because if it's beef and there's leftovers I will eat it - I wouldn't eat goat or chicken envy

I hate wastage

LaurieFairyCake Thu 13-Jul-17 08:13:36

Great!

You folk are fab!

Suya it IS

chipmonkey Thu 13-Jul-17 08:17:44

www.allnigerianrecipes.com/rice/nigerian-jollof-rice.html Here it looks like the jollof rice should be served warm. Jerk chicken is definitely served warm.

Niceteeth Thu 13-Jul-17 08:27:48

Jollof chicken should definitely be served warm. Best not to go with chicken as people will generally want more than one!

bluesunshine Tue 05-Sep-17 11:01:31

Hi Laurie, did your jollof rice and jerk chicken turn out nice?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »