Talk

Advanced search

Delicious, fizzy and celebratory - but no alcohol

(15 Posts)
PerspicaciaTick Sun 09-Jul-17 17:49:29

My DDad has a big birthday coming up where we would normally plan to drink lots of champagne. Unfortunately he not been well recently and neither he nor my DMum can drink alcohol. I really need an excellent alternative non-alcoholic drink which is delicious, special and very celebratory which the whole family (young and old) can drink.
Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 09-Jul-17 17:52:05

You can get non-alcoholic fizz (complete with champagne corks) in most supermarkets but I can't vouch for how it tastes. My favourite non-alcoholic tipple is Belvoir elderflower which is sparkling but maybe not sufficiently celebratory for what you need?

annandale Sun 09-Jul-17 17:53:48

Sparkling elderflower cordial usually goes down well - we had it as the nonalcoholic option at our wedding.

I like lime cordial, I have it with soda water in pubs but just tap water and ice at home. Lime slices too.

I think tomato juice is good to have available as it's less sweet. Options with/without Worcestershire sauce.

I also like Clausthaler but i think it's liw alcohol rather than no alcohol. Tastes like beer though.

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Jul-17 17:53:54

Mark's and spencer do some delicious ones.

www.marksandspencer.com/s/style-and-living/the-nonalcoholic-refresher

PerspicaciaTick Sun 09-Jul-17 17:54:36

I think nasty-tasting shampagne would be worse than none at all, so I'm a bit cautious to buy withoutt recommendations. Elderflower is a good idea - we drink a lot of Elderflower cordial so I know everyone likes the flavour.

honeysucklejasmine Sun 09-Jul-17 17:56:06

Echo Falls do a sparkling one which is blended with green tea. I know, sounds grim. But the tea gives it that edge which makes it taste like wine and not sparkling fruit juice.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 09-Jul-17 17:56:39

Ooh - the M&S apple ones look nice...and have reminded me that I think I've seen a sparkling apple juice in a champagne-style bottle. I'll have to try and remember where.

kkkkaty123 Sun 09-Jul-17 17:58:56

I know not very imaginative but I buy shloer for non drinkers and the dc at Christmas or special meals

kkkkaty123 Sun 09-Jul-17 18:01:59

M and s !

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Jul-17 18:02:39

The M and S ones do come in champagne style bottles! Corks and all. Honestly, they're delicious!

AdaColeman Sun 09-Jul-17 18:05:21

Another vote for elderflower presse, or rose lemonade is widely available too. For those who like something less sweet, soda or tonic water with a dash of raspberry vinegar.

You can make it more celebratory by floating strawberries or raspberries in the glasses, hanging small bunches of redcurrants from the rim, sugaring the rims etc etc.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 09-Jul-17 18:38:02

M&S are saying the Normandy one is out of stock, however Daylesford seem to do a similar one.

darceybussell Sun 09-Jul-17 18:43:08

I read somewhere that the Tesco fake fizzy wine is good and similar to prosecco, but I haven't got round to trying it yet so I'm afraid I can't vouch for it! <helpful>

Argeles Sun 09-Jul-17 18:45:49

Sainsbury's own brand non-alcohol 'champagne' is the best non-alcoholic alcohol style drink I've ever tasted.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 09-Jul-17 18:52:43

The Sainsbury one does have a lot of good reviews - and it's only over the road so I might pop over and buy a bottle to experiment with.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in