Talk

Advanced search

Help me save my chili!

(9 Posts)
LapCatLicker Thu 29-Jun-17 17:45:42

Making chili using some pretty freezer burnt mince just now. I hadn't realised quite how long its been in there and it tastes pretty bad. I've done my usual chili; onion, pepper, grated carrot and courgette, tomato, kidney beans, 3 garlic cloves, mild chili powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa powder, one beef stock gel thingy. Can I rescue it?

OP’s posts: |
LapCatLicker Thu 29-Jun-17 18:03:44

I've added more stock powder and a bit of cayenne. Still pretty fusty but edible.

FauxFox Thu 29-Jun-17 18:06:44

Little bit of sugar? Works well in sauce made with tinned toms as they are a bit sharp.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 29-Jun-17 18:08:31

Don't tinker any more with the chilli.
Just drink half a bottle of wine before dinner to dull your taste buds

TeenagersandFurbabies Thu 29-Jun-17 18:09:51

Add a squirt of tomato ketchup it'll add a little sweetness to it.

RaspberryBeretHoopla Thu 29-Jun-17 18:11:15

Yep, sugar and a splash or 2 of red wine vinegar. The 2 together can cut the acrid taste (sugar) and elevate the spices (vinegar). That might cut the fusty taste.

If not, then drink then I agree with breakfast wine

LapCatLicker Thu 29-Jun-17 18:12:15

Lol breakfast wine has been opened! I'll try a bit of sugar, that should lift it. Thankfully I'm not eating it, I'm going out and DH will be eating it when he gets in.grin

LapCatLicker Thu 29-Jun-17 18:17:03

Yay! A bit of sugar and a splash of red wine vinegar has done the trick. It's not the best I've ever made but even I would eat that now. Thank you!

meladeso Thu 29-Jun-17 18:22:02

And maybe more cumin if it now doesn't taste so much like chilli anymore!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »