Talk

Advanced search

Healthy(ish) rhubarb recipies

(6 Posts)
RoseVase2010 Tue 27-Jun-17 21:19:59

Can anyone recommend some relatively healthy things to do with rhubarb?

My repertoire is limited to crumble and compote, both of which are essentially the same, simmering it down with sugar and Port.

I need inspiration as it's piling up in my kitchen!

OP’s posts: |
SoftSheen Tue 27-Jun-17 21:23:58

Roast it and eat cold with yoghurt.

Rhubarb and custard cake is pretty amazing, but probably doesn't come under the 'healthy' category...

OldLagNewName Wed 28-Jun-17 16:09:17

Depending on what you count as healthy, rhubarb and almond cake (high fat and sugar but also high protein - I call that healthy for my skinny kids --and just eat it myself because it's delicious--)

IToldYouIWasFreaky Wed 28-Jun-17 16:30:25

There are a couple of recipes in Jack Monroe's lastest book for rhubarb, one for a salsa to eat with smoked mackerel and one for rhubarb soda bread. Both are delicious but not sure if they really count as healthy. Plus neither uses up very much rhubarb. Still yummy though!

HappydaysArehere Sat 01-Jul-17 00:09:48

I sweeten rhubarb with strawberries and no sugar. It makes for a "healthier"option!

OldLagNewName Mon 03-Jul-17 11:45:01

If you add licorish or aniseed flavoured things to fruit it is supposed to make it need less sugar. I haven't tried it myself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »