Talk

Advanced search

What's your favourite vegan cake recipe?

(17 Posts)
ChainingDaisy Tue 27-Jun-17 06:31:07

As in the title really. I'm a competent baker, but I've never done a vegan cake. Egg free or dairy free due to allergies, but never vegan. It's my grandma's birthday soon, she wants a big family party and I thought it would be nice if everyone could have the same cake.

OP’s posts: |
ChainingDaisy Tue 27-Jun-17 20:46:41

Anyone?

canihaveacoffeeplease Tue 27-Jun-17 21:45:55

Jamie Oliver toffee apple vegan cake is fantastic!

canihaveacoffeeplease Tue 27-Jun-17 21:46:36

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/vegan-toffee-apple-upside-down-cake/

ChainingDaisy Wed 28-Jun-17 23:56:59

Thank you! Can I ask, what vinegar did you use in it? It does look lovely.

wonderwoo Thu 29-Jun-17 00:21:33

I've got a lovely chocolate cake recipe. Really tasty and very easy. Will post it tomorrow if you are interested.

wonderwoo Thu 29-Jun-17 00:23:42

I've just found it online. This is it:
www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/chocfudge.htm

wonderwoo Thu 29-Jun-17 00:25:07

And I ice it with dairy free chocolate butter icing.

Joffmognum Thu 29-Jun-17 12:45:00

I recommend doing a cake with interesting flavourings, such as that JO one, because if you do a simple sponge people are going to be comparing it to a regular sponge in their heads.

CMOTDibbler Thu 29-Jun-17 12:49:25

I love the Ms Cupcake cherry bakewell cupcakes, but the Nigella vegan chocolate cake is amazing

ChainingDaisy Thu 29-Jun-17 14:14:19

That's a very good point joffmognum , but the chocolate one might look more celebratory? I might do a couple of trials, I'm sure thefamily can put up with the hardship of eating them for me...

wonderwoo Thu 29-Jun-17 16:27:12

That chocolate cake really does not taste vegan in my opinion. I generally choose to make it instead of other non vegan recipes as it's so nice. Good idea to try some out and see what you like. A good excuse to eat cake!

Nemesia Thu 29-Jun-17 16:37:31

Tesco have a recipe for a vegan Victoria sponge which turns out really well but you could add lemon zest and juice to make a lemon drizzle cake.

canihaveacoffeeplease Sat 01-Jul-17 08:27:08

I usually use apple cider vinegar, but I've used just normal malt vinegar too when I didn't have any and it still turned out pretty tasty! Really quick and easy to make too (apart from slicing the apples and making them look all pretty!)

Nemesia Sat 01-Jul-17 14:40:31

Wonderoo I made your chocolate cake this morning and it is really lovely, I used to use the indestructibles recipe but will be using this from now on.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 01-Jul-17 14:45:18

I don't make then myself but we buy tortas de aceite and they're vegan and delicious!

wonderwoo Sat 01-Jul-17 18:12:09

Glad you like it nemesia
I've been making it for years. It's bloody lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »