Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with salted herring fillets?

(12 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Thu 22-Jun-17 10:34:52

And don't say bin them!!! 😩

I picked them up yesterday from the reduced section thinking that fish was fish. But now I'm looking at them and I'm wondering what to do 🤔

I'm on a high fat low carb diet, so I could fry them off. Otherwise I tend to eat a small amount of dairy and meat, lots of fish and vegetables and good oils.

misscph1973 Thu 22-Jun-17 11:55:18

Oh, I love herring (I'm Danish). But I am not familiar with salted herrings. Are they in a brine? Or ar they like fresh fish fillets?

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 22-Jun-17 13:17:39

I'd have said in a kedgeree type dish but that's not low carb

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 22-Jun-17 14:01:47

I am guessing here, but I would suggest that the salt was to preserve them, not to flavour, so I would soak them in fresh water for half an hour, pat them dry and then fry them. I remember my Father used to salt runner beans when the freezer got too full and when they were boiled up they tasted so much fresher/better than frozen ones would have done.

SleepFreeZone Thu 22-Jun-17 14:03:29

They are in rapeseed oil. I'll take a photo.

SleepFreeZone Thu 22-Jun-17 14:04:46

I think shallow frying them could work too. I don't think I've ever eaten anything that didn't taste nice fried!! 🙊

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 22-Jun-17 15:33:39

Are they cooked already?
I'd do them in a huge salad with lots of mixed leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot and a horseradish dressing

SleepFreeZone Sat 24-Jun-17 08:56:47

Ooooh I don't know if they're already cooked!

whataboutbob Sat 24-Jun-17 13:34:55

I was in Holland recently and are some delicious lightly brined herrings. They just serve them with chopped onion and pickles. I would also turn them into a salad with new potatoes, chopped onion and maybe some dill. Which shop did you find them in?

whataboutbob Sat 24-Jun-17 13:38:05

Sorry just seen the Tesco logo so that answers my question. Are you in Poland?

winnybella Sat 24-Jun-17 13:48:30

Soak in water or milk for few hours, then cut into 3cm pieces. Layer fish and chopped ( or thinly sliced) onions in a jar, add bay leaf, sone peppercorns and allspice grains and fill up to the top with oil ( sunflower, rapeseed). Fish needs to be tightly packed not floating iyswim. Leave in the fridge for between 24- 48 hrs and voilá, śledzie w oleju! Serve with rye bread or new bolied potatoes. And vodka wink

toffeeboffin Sat 24-Jun-17 13:52:30

Surely they're just like smoked mackerel?

So have them in a salad etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: