Talk

Advanced search

Muffins for lunches?

(13 Posts)
FartnissEverbeans Mon 12-Jun-17 19:39:55

Hi everyone, I'm a terrible cook butDS is starting to enjoy proper solid food so I found a recipe on Pinterest tonight and decided to give it a go - a banana muffin thing. Preliminary checks suggest it is going badly and all 'muffins' are a squishy mess.

However, I really like the idea of muffins for lunches! Does anyone have a basic muffin recipe that I could adapt for different ingredients (savory and sweet)?Any help would be appreciated smile

FartnissEverbeans Mon 12-Jun-17 19:56:31

Yup, complete disaster. Why can't I get them out of the muffin cases??

cheesychops Mon 12-Jun-17 20:44:16

Yes I love muffins for lunches for me and the little ones!!
Just grease the tin first and don't bother with muffin cases.
I make spinach and cheese ones which go down well.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 12-Jun-17 23:08:03

Silicon muffin trays work well. The key with any muffin is not to over stir the mixture.

TheDropBear Tue 13-Jun-17 06:25:06

www.amazon.co.uk/50-Mix-Muffins-Love-Food/dp/1407528637?tag=mumsnetforum-21

I really like this book, it has a recipe for a basic muffin mix and then a section on what ingredients can be substituted in and in what quantities.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 13-Jun-17 06:30:19

Spinach and cheese sounds great, and I'll be giving the cases a miss next time! Might invest in a silicone tin.

What proportions of flour etc. do other people use? The recipe I had called for 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of oats, a mashed banana and a mashed avocado. It was all sticky inside, though it did rise quite well.

Tanaqui Tue 13-Jun-17 06:43:33

No egg or fat? In that case it was a healthy "mock" muffin, and will never come out as easily- basic muffin mix is some kind of fat, flour and egg- plus sugar/ fruit etc if sweet, or cheese/ veggies etc if savoury!

Tanaqui Tue 13-Jun-17 06:44:21

Although some of the healthier versions are very nice! They don't tend to keep as well though.

cheesychops Tue 13-Jun-17 12:00:29

But make sure you still grease the silicone! I made that mistake last time- not disastrous but a pain to get them out!

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 13-Jun-17 14:21:12

Good muffin recipes combine melted butter and yoghurt. I use this Hairy Bikers recipe.

Hobbitch Thu 15-Jun-17 07:55:46

My failsafe muffin recipe is:
150g flour
2 tsp baking powder
100ml milk
2 eggs
4 tbsp oil
Either 1 tsp salt for savoury or 1 tbsp sugar for sweet.

Then add whatever you want. For savoury I like cheddar and leek or onion (precooked), feta and pepper, tuna and olive... For sweet my fave is finely diced apple and cinnamon.

FartnissEverbeans Fri 16-Jun-17 17:48:14

Thanks so much everyone, this is really helpful! I'm going to go have a look at that Hairy Bikers link and the book on Amazon now grin

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sun 25-Jun-17 21:16:01

Hobbitch what temperature do you bake them at, and how long for?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now