Talk

Advanced search

Help me with my 'XXXX' and salad list for this summer

(14 Posts)
Chillidawg Tue 30-May-17 11:40:10

So it's time to switch to 'something and salad' for dinners. But my list of somethings seems sadly depleted/forgotten/lacking inspiration this year.
I usually make up a large mixed salad late morning and keep it in the fridge till dinner. Carbs would come from bread/jackets/rice/maybe chips (so report me...)
What are your best 'mains' for 'something n salad' nights? Cooked or cold, meat, fish or veggie, we're not fussy!

CaptainWarbeck Tue 30-May-17 11:44:05

Quiche and salad
Cannelloni and salad
Toasted wraps

That's about it for what we put salad on the side with!

millifiori Tue 30-May-17 11:48:56

tortilla waps with smoky paprika chicken
lamb or chicken kebabs
salad nicoise
spicy or BBQ chicken pieces
home made pizza slices
home made quiche
spanish omlette and salad
greek salad with crusty bread
roast veg pasta

MoominFlaps Tue 30-May-17 11:50:29

Tomatoes, garlic, chilli and chorizo in a pan with chickpeas, served with sweet potato mash (or normal mash) and salad

Marinated chicken kebabs and salad

Pea falafels and salad

Roast veg and halloumi and salad

We also just have salads as our mains, just bulk them out

Eg butternut squash and feta salad
Avocado and bacon salad
Courgette and mozzarella salad

Etc

Chillidawg Tue 30-May-17 11:55:13

I hadn't thought of canelloni.

I've just gone through the herbs/spices cupboard and found several forgotten bottles that could be used to spice up various meats a la chicken in a blah-blah dust.

I don't know what's up with me, I have serious motivation problems at the moment. Which is not good since I like to be organised and well stocked in my meal planning. I'm not going shopping unless I have a comprehensive list otherwise I'll just browse and end up with a load of disjointed ingredients which just don't work together. The sofa beckons.

Chillidawg Tue 30-May-17 11:56:44

Oh more suggestions! Thank you!

iklboo Tue 30-May-17 11:58:29

Smoked salmon & prawns

Cold roast beef.

Smoked mackerel pasta salad. I use a mixture of mayo and half fat creme fraiche, to make this lighter.

Frittata.

Mixed seafood - I like a mix of smoked mackerel, prawns and smoked salmon flakes.

Baked potatoes - I bake them, scoop out the flesh and mash with a bit of butter, cheddar and crispy bacon bits, pile it back into the shells and put in the oven until bubbling and brown on top - delicious with salad.

Rollonbedtime7pm Tue 30-May-17 12:39:00

Not to derail the thread but do your kids eat 'salad & X' dinners?

Kids always seem harder to feed in the summer!

Roystonv Tue 30-May-17 12:39:17

Smoked mackerel, salmon, home made burgers

kingjofferyworksintescos Tue 30-May-17 13:14:08

Burger, ( home made or otherwise in a bun) chips & salad
Salmon , new potatoes & salad
Chicken Kiev, new potatoes & salad
Dijon chicken ( Mary berry) new potatoes and salad
BBQ meats , potatoes & salad
Lasagna, new potatoes & salad
Jacket potato ( various fillings ) & salad
Pulled pork baps with side salad
Salad with grilled chicken strips and croutons
Cold meats with new potatoes and salad

Chillidawg Tue 30-May-17 13:14:40

I do a basic mixed salad of things all of them will eat. Things like onions, radish, celery (which a DC might have given a good try but really dislike) I put in small bowls.
There is generally something that everyone likes. One doesn't like pasta but I would still serve salmon and prawn pasta as that one loves prawns - they can pick them out, one day they'll eat a piece of pasta by mistake and decide it's not so awful after all. Same with veg - I try to do a combo which has st least one element each of them like but I always still put a serving of what they don't like on the plate - they'll eat it by mistake one day and realise it's delicious. They know life's not perfect and you can't have your own personal favourite dinner every night of the week.
I'm totally honest with them, always have been, so if they said 'mummy! Why did you give me broccoli you know I hate it' I always told them 'you liked it when you were very little, it's a very healthy food, one day you'll probably like it again'. And I don't mention it again. Never ask them to eat it.
They'd usually reply 'well I'm not going to eat it! I shall eat all the spinach and carrots but I'm not touching that broccoli!'
Okay then. You eat all that bad bad spinach.

Anyhoo, thanks for all the suggestions, feeling a bit more motivated myself now!

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 30-May-17 14:24:42

Chicken and chorizo skewers
Quaesidilla
BNS falafels and pita
Stuffed peppers
Puff pastry tarts
Tuna steaks
Homemade fish cakes
Baked spring rolls

SecondaryQuandary Thu 15-Jun-17 06:58:48

Mine like tomato mozzarella and onion salad w balsamic. One likes shredded little gem lettuce, onions and carrot batons. The other likes tomatoes, celery, sugar snaps and fancy leaves. So usually have a big bowl they can pick what they like from, and a couple of times a week the tomato and mozzarella salad on the side.
Don't always do carbs but sometimes do a mix of new and chunky cubed sweet potatoes baked in oven with olive oil and a garlic salt mix.
For protein - whatever really. Chicken breasts, thighs, sausages (hot or cold), ribs, meatloaf (often serve this w pasta), lamb koftes, pork meatballs, cheese and tomato quesadillas, pizza etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now