Talk

Advanced search

Foil when roasting meat?

(16 Posts)
TyneTeas Sun 28-May-17 17:46:25

I have noticed recently that the instruction labels on whole chickens, and today a piece of topside don't mention covering with foil.

Do they assume everyone knows or do we not cover to roast anymore?

AgentProvocateur Sun 28-May-17 17:47:18

I've never used foil to roast confused

RedBugMug Sun 28-May-17 17:49:06

I have never covered roasting meat?
such a waste of foil.
I just baste regularly to avoid dryness/burning.

Eminybob Sun 28-May-17 17:50:13

Nope, no foil here, unless a specific recipe that calls for it.

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 28-May-17 17:51:17

I use a roaster. No foil required.

BIWI Sun 28-May-17 17:51:51

The only reason you would use foil would be to stop the meat burning. And with a roast, you actually want the surface of the meat to brown!

You'd only use foil if you were turning the temperature down to slow roast it - so if you wanted pulled pork, for example

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 28-May-17 17:53:36

I use a tea towel for resting time and that's it. No need for foil, imho

TyneTeas Sun 28-May-17 17:59:19

Have always used foil, just taking it off for last half an hour or so. Assumed everyone did blushshockblush

TyneTeas Sun 28-May-17 18:07:52

So is it just my family that has always covered with foil, or is it something we have stopped doing since 70s/80s and I've just not noticed?

eatingtomuch Sun 28-May-17 18:42:26

My mum always used foil and so do I.

TyneTeas Sun 28-May-17 21:08:55

Well I'm glad to hear other people have used foil and it isn't some random and weird thing exclusive to or made up by my mother and passed on to me grin

ReadingJenny Mon 29-May-17 19:14:51

I am also a foil used, I do take it off to brown up for the last half hour with Beef or chicken.....

TyneTeas Mon 29-May-17 21:29:49

Glad it's not just me, was wondering whether my mother had secretly worked for the foil marketing board

ceeveebee Mon 29-May-17 21:43:27

My MIL wraps beef tightly in foil and cooks it slowly until it's brown all the way through. And also puts foil on chicken and takes about 2 hours to dry out cook

The only time I ever use foil is when slow cooking e.g. Lamb shoulder or pulled pork type stuff.

Muskey Mon 29-May-17 21:46:58

I use foil and so does my mum who was a chef. However mum always put water in the bottom of the roasting tin not sure everybody does this

TyneTeas Mon 29-May-17 22:02:22

My mam puts loads of water in the bottom too, fair enough with something to cook slow like brisket, but with other stuff just means the bottom is boiled rather than roasted confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now