Talk

Advanced search

Best shop bought pickled onions?

(10 Posts)
HappyEverIftar Fri 26-May-17 19:59:00

Hi all,

I love pickled onions, but always get that sinking feeling when I bite into a soggy pickled onion. Who does/makes the best ones? By best ones I mean those that are crunchy and tangy, yum! I've tried Waitose own (bit soggy) and Haywards (not bad but missing that crunch). Any suggestions gratefully received smile

OnyK Fri 26-May-17 23:07:23

Garner's. No contest!

Tartyflette Fri 26-May-17 23:18:19

I struggle to find ones without any sugar in at all as I don't think they're authentic. Unless they're labelled as sweet pickled onions. (a completely different product, IMO.)
The best solution is to make your own -- mine don't hang around long enough to go soggy!
All you need is small onions, salt, vinegar and pickling spices (or just chillies grin. )
The worst part is peeling the oinions which is undoubtedly an arse-ache but is easier if you pour boiling water over them in a bowl and leave for a few seconds before draining it off.
You can probably find a recipe to suit you online, they usually say the onions are ready in about a fortnight but I find I like them best after a week, they're super crunchy by then..

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-May-17 23:19:45

Garners pickled shallots.

Bombaybunty Fri 26-May-17 23:21:05

Barry Norman's. Nice and spicy!

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 27-May-17 07:00:28

Make your own, shop bought aren't a patch on them, even premium brands such as Garners. Peel (after the boiling water dunk), leave in a bowl with lots of salt overnight to draw out moisture, rinse very thoroughly and put in sterilised jars. I use half and half malt and spirit vinegar with black peppercorns, dried chillies, a clove or two and mustard seeds. No sugar. They keep for ages without going soggy. Not easy to find pickling onions in the shops at this time of year though, I bulk-make for the year in the autumn.

namechange20050 Sat 27-May-17 07:01:56

The best ones are the Waitrose ones in balsamic vinegar. Or make your own!

HappyEverIftar Sat 27-May-17 09:59:50

My grandma used to make THE BEST pickled onions and no-one knew how she did it, so I'm quite fussy! tarty and time are the onions labelled as pickling onions? Can you buy them in supermarkets? I may have to give them a go this year smile

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 27-May-17 10:14:14

Yes they are. They tend to be small packs/expensive in supermarkets, better getting them from a greengrocer or farmshop IME.

OnyK Tue 30-May-17 17:38:06

I pickle my own too, but Garner's are the only brand I buy when I've run out.

Like others have said they're easy to make but a pain to peel. I brine mine overnight, drain and pickle in sarson's pickling vinegar. Pickling onions/shallots are normally easy to buy in late summer.

You can make really quick pickled sliced onion, by slicing an onion, adding a pinch of salt and a glug of wine vinegar. Leave for an hour or so and then eat. They only keep for a couple of days in the fridge, but great for sandwiches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now