Talk

Advanced search

Something nice for dinner tonight?

(18 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 26-May-17 11:29:45

We usually have a roast dinner Friday evenings, but I can't face making one on the first really hot Friday of the year.

I'm about to go do a grocery shop. Any suggestions for an alternative? Something nice, a bit special, that won't involve hours of hot kitchen.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 26-May-17 12:08:33

No ideas? sad I'll end up doing my usual very nice, but heavily overused baked trout recipe.

Boooooooooring.

Come on MNers, help me out here!

Berrybakecake1 Fri 26-May-17 12:50:02

I'm just doing a few burgers on the barbie and I nice salad. Too hot for anything else today.
I do fancy chicken in a white wine and mushroom sauce though. That would be my perfect comfort food today mmm yummy.

PippaFawcett Fri 26-May-17 12:56:28

We are having a picnic tea, no cooking here tonight!

LostMyDotBrain Fri 26-May-17 12:58:44

Pesto chicken stuffed with naice ham and emmental cheese grin probably with spicy wedges. Despite the weather, I never did get on board with meat + salad style teas.

MusicToMyEars800 Fri 26-May-17 13:01:05

I will be whipping up a quick macaroni cheese and be serving it with a big salad topped with garlic and herb croutons.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 26-May-17 13:34:28

A-ha! I've had the perfect idea: child labour grin Ds has been begging to make sushi ever since he came home from a birthday party with a sushi mat in the party bag. (Don't ask. I really don't know!) So I've bought sushi rice, smoked salmon, and various bits and bobs, and I'll put him to work when he gets home from school.

Job done. I'm swanning off to the garden centre. gringringrin

Umpteenthnamechange Fri 26-May-17 14:03:35

None of us are back till 6:30

Summary Moroccan mince chickpeas and tomatoes simmering in slow cooker 1

Mass of veggies in garlic and herbs steaming in slow cooker 2

Basmati rice in water inside rice cooker on timer due to go on at 6

We shall get home to this - serve and head out to our lovely garden to eat.

Ineedagoodusername Fri 26-May-17 14:06:04

Umpteethnamechange I am in awe at how organised you are! Would you share the recipes? Sounds lovely.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 26-May-17 14:12:54

Two slow cookers - genius!

I love my one, what I could do with two...

Sunshinegirls Fri 26-May-17 14:17:16

Roast a chicken with lemon and herbs, make a bowl of salad and buy some crusty bread/coleslaw/potato salad from the deli counter.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 26-May-17 17:14:02

Argh - I forgot the avocado! I'm being sent back to the supermarket by my 10yo. <rolls eyes - an easy life, huh?>

Umpteenthnamechange Fri 26-May-17 17:28:56

Of course! Our two slow cookers are the reason we can function with two full time jobs twonmassive commutes toddler and pet smile

So winter recipes are very different from summer.

Frozen mince and onions + Moroccan spices + a dash of Ras el Hanout + tin of chopped tomatoes + tin of chickpeas + apricot + grapes + seasoning (season well!) + harissa

This gives a very summery fruity meat dish which is bulked out with chickpeas and tomatoes so does us 2 sets of dinners andn1-2 Lunches smile

In the winter - this would probably lose the mince and use cheap bone-in brisket type cuts or oxtail + replace chickpeas with lentils to make a stew rather than a fruity type dish

Same slow cooker - different recipes by season

Sitting at toddington services on the m1 now getting a water to cool down before I head home to DH and DS and eatttt!!!!

Ineedagoodusername Fri 26-May-17 17:41:35

What is ras el hanout?

MusicToMyEars800 Fri 26-May-17 18:21:13

Indeed it is a spice mix.

Umpteenthnamechange Fri 26-May-17 18:48:13

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3161675/ras-el-hanout-spice-mix%3Famp

It's under £2 I think at Morrisons

ChubbyMummy12 Sat 27-May-17 11:50:51

Chicken and chorizo jambalaya here this evening. smile

Ineedagoodusername Sat 27-May-17 14:14:47

Thank you smile

Ooh jambalaya. I don't know what I do wrong but mine is always a bit bland!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now