Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Meal planning for after school sports / clubs / activity nights

(12 Posts)
daisydalrymple Sun 21-May-17 19:42:34

Just wondering what your favourites are for those nights when the dcs have activities and it's too early to eat a big meal before going, but too late to wait till they get back.

Ds1(10) and dd(8) have packed lunch at school, so on activity nights I tend to do easy pasta, jkt pot, beans / egg on toast, soup, fajitas type meals. They usually have a cereal when they get home if hungry. Dc3 is 2.5, so it's easier to eat before we go, as generally nearly his bedtime when we get back.

Have done meal plans since having the dcs, but am finding we're hardly eating any 'proper' meals in the week. They top up with salad/veg bits and have fruit/ yogurt for pud, so they're getting a fair balance, but I'm getting so tired of the same old same old!

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 21-May-17 21:02:03

Frittata, falafel and houmous and quasidila all pretty good for when time is of the essence.

daisydalrymple Sun 21-May-17 21:10:56

Thanks! A couple there they'd try (not the fussiest, but they don't like everything, and dc3 is dairy intolerant, so cheese is out for him although I manage with dairy alternatives for butter /milk).

daisydalrymple Sun 21-May-17 21:16:21

Thanks! A couple there they'd try (not the fussiest, but they don't like everything, and dc3 is dairy intolerant, so cheese is out for him although I manage with dairy alternatives for butter /milk).

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 21-May-17 21:53:08

Do they eat fish? Salmon, noodles and veg is another speedy supper here.

daisydalrymple Sun 21-May-17 21:59:25

Yes they're pretty good with fish, salmon is a fave. I generally do it with noodles or couscous too, never occurred to me to do it on a quick night, but of course it's simple once the salmon is in the oven! Thanks. That's made me think I can do extra and then have it with pasta / broccoli the next night too (all for cutting corners here grin )

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 21-May-17 22:33:31

Get a slow cooker! Pop everything in in the morning and you will come home to a delicious home-cooked meal that's ready to eat, bar a few more minutes if you want to do some fresh vegetables. I love mine!

daisydalrymple Sun 21-May-17 22:39:07

Got a slow cooker smile it's just they don't want to eat that type of meal before footy / gymnastics / swimming unfortunately. Thanks for replying though!

Kaffiene Sun 21-May-17 22:45:01

No need to oven cook the salmon. Just microwave it while you stir fry some veg and noodles or rice.

stuckinthehouse Sun 21-May-17 22:48:26

We do a slow cooker meal to eat after activities, then straight to bed.

artycakemaker Mon 22-May-17 12:29:30

I confess that on the nights we have after school clubs there are 30 minutes between home and clubs, so usually it is cheese sandwiches with cucumber sticks or beans on toast, then something puddingy afterwards and before bed- maybe a bread and butter pudding etc that DH sticks in the oven.

butterfly990 Mon 22-May-17 17:46:50

I have discovered "Lean in 15" by Joe Wicks.

Cooking cheesy chorizo chicken and spinach tonight. The majority of the dishes in the book are very quick to make and are things the kids will in the main eat.
I hate cooking, not great at cooking healthy but the dishes in this book are helping me to change my ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now