Talk

Advanced search

Great recipes to use up extra spinach.

(30 Posts)
pistachioandhoney Wed 17-May-17 10:11:03

We buy a couple of bags of fresh spinach as week as I use it instead of lettuce. DH only likes this and also I can freeze any leftovers before it starts wilting. As a result I constantly have a freezer full of frozen spinach.

We are getting tired of spinach and ricotta lasagna. Can anyone share some great ways of using up frozen spinach?

VioletBow Wed 17-May-17 10:13:49

I've use mine in curries, pasta, pies you name it. My mums vegetarian and has always used it as though it was a "normal" vegetable. She always puts frozen veg into meals and 80% frozen spinach was thrown in as well

BlossomCat Wed 17-May-17 10:13:50

Eggs Florentine. Delicious!

MrsMotherHen Wed 17-May-17 10:15:03

it's lovely with some pasta stir through whilst on the heat still, some pesto spinach and cherry Toms.

countycouncil Wed 17-May-17 10:26:09

If you like curry frozen spinach is the base of 'palak paneer' and it's gorgeous. If you can't get paneer you could just use the recipe for the sauce and throw in veggies or chicken instead.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 17-May-17 11:50:37

This baked spinach and mushroom gnocchi or spanakopita

haggisaggis Wed 17-May-17 12:26:14

Mix it though curries or risotto at end of cooking as it just needs to wilt. My dc like it in omelettes with tomato & onion. As a veg accompaniment cooked with a little cream. Make a pasta sauce with tomatoes, onion & garlic and add the spinach and parmesan cheese. (I tend to cook the spinach first then squeeze out as much water as I can before adding to a pasta sauce or adding cream if I'm having it as a veg).
I love spinach!

senua Wed 17-May-17 12:29:31

pork orzotto

ILookedintheWater Wed 17-May-17 12:30:56

Any indian dish you can think of with the word sag or saag in it:

Just flash fried in a little butter and nutmeg with pretty much anything.

MrsJayy Wed 17-May-17 12:32:01

I have it through pasta or i wilt it with butter or cream and just have it with my dinner you need a lot to get a decent veg portion so it gets used up

Tw1nsetAndPearls Wed 17-May-17 12:35:16

Eggs florentine I have attached a recipe

I also like an omelette with onions, potatoes do spinach and whatever else I may have to spare.

Spanakopita- the whole family love it. I chuck it in all sorts though - curries, stir fry.

LumelaMme Wed 17-May-17 12:39:45

Stir into dahl.
Mix it into shepherd's pie filling.
Spinach and mushroom plait (arty-looking pastry: a fab dish to feed veggie guests)

WheresTheEvidence Wed 17-May-17 12:42:21

I put spinach in curry, chilli, casseroles anything but I do love spinach stirred into philadelphoa cheese stirred into pasta - I sometimes add salmon too.

pistachioandhoney Wed 17-May-17 12:42:32

Fantastic, thanks everyone.

NoSquirrels Wed 17-May-17 12:43:14

Another vote for spanakopita - pretty easy and delicious hot or cold so great for leftovers.

Wilted on toast with scrambled egg as a breakfast.

Saag aloo.

pistachioandhoney Wed 17-May-17 12:48:09

Tw1nset, I will definitely be making that and eggs florentine for breakfast. I love eggs in the morning.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Wed 17-May-17 12:53:49

@pistachioandhoney it's great comfort food. I often have it for breakfast with my little boy when the teenager has gone to school.

Orangedaisy Wed 17-May-17 12:54:36

On pizza with an egg. Mmmmmm.

NewToRenting Wed 17-May-17 13:45:52

Spinach soup is really nice, and uses up a lot of spinach!

Backhometothenorth Wed 17-May-17 16:22:35

Baked eggs are delicious with spinach- just pop spinach and some grated cheese in a bowl, whisk up eggs, pour over and bake at 200 for fifteen mins or so until browned on top. Great for any left over veg actually.

rubberducker Wed 17-May-17 17:49:20

Definitely in curries or with pesto in pasta.

I also throw a handful of spinach into my fruit smoothies.

lastqueenofscotland Wed 17-May-17 21:13:09

Spanakopita or with spicy tomato sauce and pasta

fourpawswhite Wed 17-May-17 21:15:56

Delia original book has a recipe for spinach and wild mushroom pancakes which is delicious. Our local pub does something similar as a special and I love it. Cheese sauce over them. Mmmmm. Might make that thus weekend.

Watto1 Wed 17-May-17 21:18:44

Blitz it up with a handful of cheddar and a big dollop of Philadelphia cheese. Makes a great pasta sauce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now