Talk

Advanced search

Apple Crumble - Do you think School have taught this right?

(28 Posts)
yohoohoo Mon 15-May-17 14:52:48

DS had 2nd food tech (that's what they call it now [hmm) apple crumble it was.
2 eating apples - didnt show him how to peel it or core it - just told them to chop up and put in dish. Then make the crumble with oats in it, by the time he had doen it the apple had turned brown he said I said perhaps you should of done the crumble first then apple then put crumble straight on top. However the teacher told them to chop apple and layer the apple and crumble so apple, crumble, layer of apple then crumble.

It came home rock hard on top, over done and inside all well yuk...I think the oats made it hard.

Have re-done one this weekend the way I do it (tradition method) and he cant believe how different we did it. Even showed him how to core an apple

reetgood Mon 15-May-17 14:55:45

Had the teacher actually made apple crumble before? :D I mean layer if you like, but surely you do it the trad way first time you do the recipe. I have never heard of layering a crumble. Unless it's to make oat crumble flapjacks.

Also, just my grumble but what happened to using cooking apples in crumble?

Seeline Mon 15-May-17 14:58:09

Sounds revolting!
I always use Bramleys for crumble (as taught in cookery 35 years ago). I normally stew the apple first and then sprinkle the crumble mix on top and pop in the oven.
Layering the crumble and apple would mean the crumble layer s would be all soggy and possibly raw.
I do sometimes put oats in but it doesn't go hard.

bushtailadventures Mon 15-May-17 15:03:38

Doesn't sound like any crumble I've ever had. I made crumble this weekend too, stewed the fruit first, put it in dish, then cover with the crumble mix I made while the fruit was stewing. Was lovely with custard on Saturday, is lovely cold right now smile

Mind you, I was taught how to make it from my Nans '50's Good Housekeeping Cookery Book so I might be out of date

AntigoneJones Mon 15-May-17 15:06:50

Have never heard of such a crumble in all my life.
Possibly the teacher is about 25 and cannot cook.

BaronessBomburst Mon 15-May-17 15:08:13

Was the maths teacher standing in to cover the lesson or something? 😂

*disclaimer: not to imply that maths teachers can't cook. Just that it wasn't a home ec.

ineedmoreLemonPledge Mon 15-May-17 15:12:18

God no, that is not a crumble.

I use an oz of oats instead of flour - it's never hard.

I stew the apples and the crumble is a layer like a pie crust.

picklemepopcorn Mon 15-May-17 15:17:16

Layering is more of an apple Betty, usually made with bread crumbs, and partially cooked Apple.

Frizziee Mon 15-May-17 15:21:35

Two apples?! Sounds gross!

SnickersWasAHorse Mon 15-May-17 15:25:45

Layering? And not coring the apple?

I agree, was this lesson being covered by the physics teacher or someone equally unqualified?

Even so surely they must have been able to find someone who had at least been introduced to an apple crumble even if they hadn't made one.

RedSandYellowSand Mon 15-May-17 15:29:36

I'd have
a) made crumble topping (with oats)
b) cored and pealed the apples (significantly more than 2)
c) put all the apples in the dish, sprinkled with all the crumble, and cooked.

Not pealing or coring is yack.
Layering means loads if doggy crumble, surely??

RedSandYellowSand Mon 15-May-17 15:29:51

Soggy not doggy

BaronessBomburst Mon 15-May-17 15:31:02

"Apple Crumble, may I introduce you to Mr Bronson?
Mr Bronson, this is Miss Crumble."

"So pleased to meet you Mr Bronson, and please do call me Apple."

AYEpad Mon 15-May-17 15:32:55

OP - my DS had food tech last week - exactly the same recipe and method as yours (coincidences) - it was unedible gloop

KatharinaRosalie Mon 15-May-17 15:33:01

How odd. You can't layer a crumble. That's the entire point of the dish, that the crumble gets all nice and golden and crisp. Not to have a soggy layer of dough in the middle of the dish.

notangelinajolie Mon 15-May-17 15:40:52

No doesn't sound like any apple crumble I've ever had/made. To be fair - after 3 DC's all doing this subject I have lowered my expectations some what. I now don't expect anything coming home in any fit state to eat -
that way I'm never dissapointed grin. Teach her to cook at home .

ExplodedCloud Mon 15-May-17 15:44:55

I'm not a particularly good cook but that sounds nothing like any crumble I've ever made.

What's a cobbler in pudding terms? Is that what they made?

BaronessBomburst Mon 15-May-17 16:00:01

You can layer toasted oats with raspberries, cream, and whisky.
That works! grin

BaronessBomburst Mon 15-May-17 16:01:05

Cobbler is a scone topping.
Looks like cobblestones.

iknowimcoming Mon 15-May-17 16:05:36

I made something like that at school and it was an apple charlotte iirc similar to the apple Betty above, sounds ummmmm, yummy!

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Mon 15-May-17 16:07:50

That's not apple crumble! That's like some kind of weird puddingy lasagne or something.

It astounds me how few food tech recipes seem to come from anyone who has ever eaten, or indeed likes, actual food.

ExplodedCloud Mon 15-May-17 16:09:36

Thanks Baroness smile

stuntcamel Mon 15-May-17 16:11:30

When my dc did apple crumble at school, they were asked to take in a tin of apple pie filling

RedBugMug Mon 15-May-17 16:12:41

wrong:
if's
- chop apples and layer in dish
- put in the hot oven whilst you make the topping
- make topping
- put topping on hot apples and bake until crumble is crumbly

reetgood Mon 15-May-17 16:15:55

I really like cooking, and food tech made me lose the will to live. I was already cooking independently and we had to all do the same stage at the same time. Then stop and watch the demonstration. Then do the next stage. It certainly took out any joy or independence from the process. In this case I would have been the annoying kid telling the teacher she was wrong, and ignoring her instructions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now