Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Slow Cooker and liquid

(15 Posts)
TheEagle Sat 13-May-17 17:54:24

Anyone use the Crockpot brand slow cooker?

I think I'm putting too much liquid in my dishes.

How much stock /liquid would you put in an average chicken casserole in the slow cooker?

Alexandra87 Sat 13-May-17 18:01:34

I always thought everything had to be covered but may be wrong

Watto1 Sat 13-May-17 18:03:44

A lot less than you would use on the job. There is nowhere for the steam to escape to in a slow cooker so it condenses on the lid and falls back into your casserole.

Watto1 Sat 13-May-17 18:04:15

Hob, not jobblush

TheEagle Sat 13-May-17 19:32:18

I thought everything had to be covered too - I did a chicken casserole earlier and it was very tasty but there was definitely too much liquid hmm

Alexandra87 Sat 13-May-17 19:41:08

If it's too watery you can take the lid off for a bit at the end

redpriestandmozart Sat 13-May-17 19:43:45

I'm the other extreme, I never cover everything. The steam generated in a slow cooker condenses and drops back into the food. In stews & chillies I use a couple of tins of tomatoes, 1/2 to 1 tin of water, mix it all up stick lid on and leave. I've never had anything dry out. Doing meat I turn the meat half way, always comes out moist.

Rinceoir Sat 13-May-17 19:45:30

A lot less than usual. To be honest I find it's best for joints of meat- ribs, gammon, pork shoulder etc. Have never quite mastered the stews.

TheEagle Sat 13-May-17 19:53:55

Thank you! I'll experiment with less liquid next time.

When you're doing a joint of meat, would you sit it on top of veggies or just bung it in as is?

Rinceoir Sat 13-May-17 22:31:22

Depends on whether I want gravy or not. For pulled pork I baste it in a dry rub first then use the juices in making my BBQ sauce after, but no veg. With beef brisket I usually sit it on onion/carrot and make gravy at the end.

hellokittymania Sun 14-May-17 05:05:09

Can I ask for next time how are you would make this steak teriyaki? I am visually impaired and diced meet is really hard for me to cook on the stove top. Are used to make stews with a lot of liquid and they came out really badly. I made barbecue ribs a few weeks ago and just used the ribs and the pocket of sauce that came with them and they came out really well. I didn't know how much liquid to use today, I just use the teriyaki sauce and no water.

dreamingofsun Sun 14-May-17 09:22:23

that may have enough liquid as it is.....i'm not familiar with teriyaki so not sure how runny its supposed to be. i've just done bolognese for lasagne and mine's about as dry as yours. you can always add a little water towards the end if its too dry

hellokittymania Sun 14-May-17 09:26:19

sad I just tasted it and you can't even taste the teriyaki. Where in the world did I go wrong here?

dreamingofsun Mon 15-May-17 08:52:24

did u need to add more? the liquid level looks about right? if you wanted slightly less you could have left the lid off for a bit, or mixed some cornflour with water and added.

CarlAnthony Sun 29-Oct-17 11:07:58

I just can’t help following instructions saying cover with water. then there’s too much liquid.
My large pack of diced meat seems to have vanished

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now