Talk

Advanced search

Chicken liver recipes please

(22 Posts)
veneeroftheweek Fri 12-May-17 22:19:24

I've bought a pack of chicken livers as I'm very anaemic and need to take action. I'm an ex veggie who now eats chicken and fish but am slightly squeamish and pathetic about meat generally. What is the best thing to do with them? I've got horrible memories of liver and bacon at school so am nervous. I really need to find a way to enjoy them as otherwise I'm never going to feel better. Please help. What are your best recipes?

Blondie1984 Sat 13-May-17 00:27:41

How about chicken liver pate? This Jamie Oliver recipe is good

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/old-school-chicken-liver-parfait/

And you can also use them in ragu pasta sauce
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/anauthenticragubolog_66229

Has your Dr given you an iron supplement? If not then Spatone is very good and doesn't have some of the nasty side effects that some others have.
Also, when you eat something iron rich, try and have it with something containing vitamin C as it helps the absorbency of the iron - e.g. a glass of orange juice with a boiled egg

elephantoverthehill Sat 13-May-17 00:34:55

If you need to get your iron levels up eat spinach, kale and drink guinness. As for chicken livers just fry them and add to the bean stew/casserole etc. that you normally would cook and eat.

NeedATrim Sat 13-May-17 00:51:08

Lebanese chicken liver is nice. Google it.

Something along the lines of livers fried with lots of lovely garlic, butter, parsley and lemon juice. I think. Its been a year or two since I had them!

Yum yum yum.

Lunaballoon Sat 13-May-17 08:10:19

I love chicken livers, so cheap and tasty! A favourite here is chicken liver salad.

Fry a few pieces of chopped up bacon, remove from frying pan, dust chicken livers in a little seasoned flour and fry in the bacon fat until nicely browned. Finish by reducing a glass of white wine in the pan, add the bacon pieces and pile onto a plate of mixed salad leaves, (add spinach and watercress for added iron).

isthistoonosy Sat 13-May-17 08:16:26

You could try hearts instead they taste more like chicken. Just sliceand fry in a little butter.

veneeroftheweek Sat 13-May-17 08:40:08

Thanks for these suggestions. Yes, I'm on ferrous fumerate from the doctor but it's taking a while. I'm eating lots of iron rich veggies but it's very hard to get the amount I need from non-meat sources. I'll try some of these recipes.

Allthebubbles Sat 13-May-17 09:24:27

I do them with shallots/ capers/ raisins/ pinenuts lots of butter and some sherry. Really delicious.

Deploycharitygoats Sat 13-May-17 10:25:21

Yes to Lebanese chicken liver! Then go full Syrian by chucking the sharpest pomegranate molasses you can find over the top. I'm hungry now.

veneeroftheweek Sat 13-May-17 12:32:55

These actually sound really nice. I just need to get over my ridiculous liver squeamishness.

Deploycharitygoats Sat 13-May-17 12:54:15

Pâté is the gateway drug of chicken liver, if you ask me grin Kitchen scissors make prep much easier if you're squeamish.

veneeroftheweek Sat 13-May-17 13:17:06

Both good tips deploy. smile Will start with pate. I think the children will like that too.

MsHippo Sat 13-May-17 19:10:09

Chopped liver! Sweat a chopped onion in plenty of butter till it's really soft and sweet. Hard boil an egg or two. Fry/grill the livers until they are only just cooked. Grate the livers (picking out any fibrous or yucky looking bits) and eggs and stir together with the onions and plenty of salt and pepper. Eat on toast or crackers. It's delicious and lasts a good few days in the fridge.!

NeedATrim Sun 14-May-17 19:17:10

Oo-er misses, pomegranate molasses you dirty minx. I'm trying that one. Just need to hunt for a bottle before hand. I know of an excellent Somalie /Arabesque /exotic shop a mile from me. I can't see it not being stocked there.

Hearts you say. Hmmm. I'm game to trying that as well.

I love wholesome, cheap and tasty food. grin

Greenifer Sun 14-May-17 19:47:47

I am loving these ideas. Chicken livers are one of my favourite things but I've never done anything more exciting with them than fry them with onions and chuck in some sherry and/or cream. Definitely going to try some of these!

piebald Sun 14-May-17 20:55:13

Chicken liver risotto is lovely , saute onions and garlic , add chopped livers , good slug of sherry or white wine if you like it ,ADD RICE AND FINISH RISOTTO as normal

Deploycharitygoats Tue 16-May-17 19:35:46

Do it, Needsatrim!

DH ordered it in a cafe in Amman a while back, and when it came there was a tiny pin prick of molasses. Cue sadface DH, who asked the server in his politest Arabic if he might possibly have a bit more. The server did an amazing flounce to the kitchen, slammed the bottle down in front of DH and shouted "HAPPY NOW, SYRIAN?!?!"

DH was very happy (he's not Syrian, but that seemed a minor detail in the face of a whole bottle of molasses grin)

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 16-May-17 19:37:30

Timpana. It's like a bolognese pie and is absolutely delicious.

DarthMaiden Tue 16-May-17 19:52:02

Chicken livers are lovely added to a bolognaise sauce.

Also very nice with baked eggs.

I'll take a screen shot of the recipe and be back.

Whileweareonthesubject Tue 16-May-17 19:54:41

We just lightly fry them and add them to spiced rice and veg - a bit like the rice and meat part of a byriani. Delicious. 😋

DarthMaiden Tue 16-May-17 19:55:31

I've done both of these - very tasty....

Greenifer Thu 18-May-17 22:07:05

Such great ideas here. Thanks to all of you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now