Talk

Advanced search

After school snack ideas

(14 Posts)
MaverickSnoopy Wed 10-May-17 09:55:56

I am after some inspiration. When we get in from school DD wants a snack but DD2 needs a nap so by the time I emerge it's about 4pm before she has the snack. Sometimes I'm able to get the snack ready before I pick her up but it's not always possible. When I do she usually has banana, celery and peanut butter, boiled egg or oatcakes with cream cheese - that sort of thing.

It would be handy though to have a tin of something that I could make at the beginning of the week and just whip out very quickly that she would like. I don't really want to do flapjack because she'd end up wanting it every day and there would be battles. I've tried cheese scones but she doesn't like them. I'm out of ideas??!!

ferriswheel Wed 10-May-17 10:02:19

This is maybe not so helpful but why don't you just serve the main meal then?

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 10-May-17 10:06:40

Banana bread?

Muffins?

Bagel and cream cheese

Home made plain popcorn

Cheese and crackers

Personally I'd just do tea for that time if shes so

NuffSaidSam Wed 10-May-17 10:07:13

Can't you just quickly make the snack before DD2's nap?! It takes about 15 seconds to peel a banana! A minute to make a peanut butter sandwich or spread cheese on oatcakes.

If she's school age she's old enough to smear some cheese on crackers or peanut butter on bread, so maybe let make her own snack when she gets in? It's a good first step on the road to leaning to cook! She could possibly chop herself some cucumber as well? Or get some easy peeler satsumas and leave her to it?

Hard boiled eggs are a good snack. Boil a load at the start of the week.

Nuts, seeds and dried fruit - just stick the box in front of her? Or put a handful of each on a plate.

Pot of houmous and some baby carrots (or let her chop some cucumber).

Cherry/plum tomatoes.

I don't know if I've misunderstood, but this seems like the biggest non-problem I've ever heard of!

MrTurtleLikesKisses Wed 10-May-17 10:07:14

Why not just fruit, yoghurt or a fruit/cereal bar? Then there's no prep!

BikeRunSki Wed 10-May-17 10:45:41

Cheese scones

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 10-May-17 10:51:31

my dds have all sorts when they get home, eg : Carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumber sticks with dip. Yoghurt, rice cakes, fruit. Breadsticks with dip, fruit salad, greek Yoghurt with honey. It doesn't take long to prepare at all, I can whip up all of that in less than 10 mins.
If you are so pushed for time prepare before school pick up.

hellomarshmallow Wed 10-May-17 10:54:01

Watching! Very useful ideas. I find it hard to get food ready for older DC and look after a baby too.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 10-May-17 10:59:59

You can do the carrot sticks and cucumber sticks in advance and just put them in airtight containers in the fridge ( or just buy the carrot sticks )

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 10-May-17 11:56:23

I make these savoury flapjacks
Popcorn
Baked strips of pita (so they go hard and crunchy) with dip (could be prepped earlier)
BNS falafel
Yoghurt
Cheese and crackers
Homemade cheese straws (again easy to make a batch)

MaverickSnoopy Wed 10-May-17 12:34:23

Thanks for the ideas, it's really helpful when I'm lacking in inspiration. I didn't mean there was a problem because there's not (I was just giving context), I just wanted some ideas. We eat together as a family at 5:30 so it's really just something small to keep her going. DD2s actual nap time is 3pm but we're doing school run then and she is a buggy nap refuser, so I don't like to push it back further. I'm useless at getting snack ready when we get in. I have tried and failed many times, I get so side tracked!

I like the idea of getting her to prepare her own things. She's just turned 5 and we do prepare food together so she does have some idea about basic preparation so we'll do some practicing where she does it on her own but I'm around. She already helps herself to fruit but fruit doesn't really fill her up so I try stick to protein based snacks. I like the look of the savoury flapjack, I've never come across that before!

GigiBuffon Sat 13-May-17 00:12:24

These peanut butter and banana flapjacks went down well- reasonable amount of protein from the peanut butter.

LilQueenie Sat 13-May-17 18:10:20

Can you maybe do batches of snacks in advance to do through the week. The sort you keep in the fridge then its one a day a week you have to take a few minutes to prepare and you can kind of bulk buy certain things to save money.

edengarden123 Sat 13-May-17 18:13:05

Make a sandwich the night before and put it in a lunch box and in fridge.

Hand it to her when you get home, with a piece of fruit and drink....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now