Talk

Advanced search

How do I boil an egg

(21 Posts)
Qtipsrsweet Wed 10-May-17 08:19:05

I absolutely cannot boil an egg. They're either mushy or hard and I just want to get it so it has nice runny yolk and looks cooked.
Have tried google, but just can't get it right. Any advice much appreciated
Thanks in advance
X

treaclesoda Wed 10-May-17 08:20:53

My tip is buy one of those little egg things in Poundland. You put it in the pan with the egg and it changes colour from the outside to the inside. It's got markings on it for soft, medium and hard. So when it reaches the stage you want it to reach, you know your egg is ready. smile

squishee Wed 10-May-17 08:23:34

Another vote for the above gizmo! Takes all the guesswork / timing away.

Supersmith Wed 10-May-17 08:24:33

I think I'm going to try one of those egg things, they do sound pretty useful.

billabye Wed 10-May-17 08:26:00

I've got one and I love it. Just remember if your eggs are large to go slightly past the soft/medium/hard markings to compensate

kirinm Wed 10-May-17 08:27:25

Put an egg on the hob in cold water and when the water starts to bubble continue cooking but time it for 4 - 5 mins. After 4-5 mins take it out, poor cold water on it (so it stops cooking) and voila!

Qtipsrsweet Wed 10-May-17 08:28:12

Oh mys, I never knew about that gizmo.
Thank you all so so much. I will pick one up today for sure.
I've never succeeded in boiling an egg and I'm determined to try and get it right.
Have a lovely day and thanks again smile
X

GetInTheFuckingSea Wed 10-May-17 08:29:20

Another vote for the egg stone. That way you don't have to keep checking if the water's bubbling then start timing etc.

Qtipsrsweet Wed 10-May-17 08:30:04

Kiri, thank you so much, Will try that now before I head out later to get the gizmo. I hope I get this right smile

Qtipsrsweet Wed 10-May-17 08:31:22

Getin, thank you am going to pick one up toda. Yay smile

GetInTheFuckingSea Wed 10-May-17 08:51:57

smile yay! It will change your life (or at least your breakfast)

Qtipsrsweet Wed 10-May-17 08:52:04

Thanks everyone, I just followed Kiri's instructions and they're were perfect, just gutted that I'm doing lo carb and couldn't dip bread in them!
Will definitely buy the egg stone aswell.
Have a lovely day
X

Qtipsrsweet Wed 10-May-17 08:52:58

Getin, yay, it will def make lo carb eating a lot easier too. Have a lovely day
X

bonjovigirl Wed 10-May-17 08:55:51

One other tip you might find useful- pop a little vinegar in the water when you boil eggs - makes it much easier to peel them

Qtipsrsweet Wed 10-May-17 09:52:30

Thanks bonjovigirl, I will def do that as peeling them is a nightmare 😮
Enjoy your day
X

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 10-May-17 09:57:08

And you also have to get your soldiers ready and take its top off straight way if you want a truly dippy egg. Otherwise it will continue to cook in the shell and won't be dippy.

tootsietoo Wed 10-May-17 10:00:57

I get the water boiling fast, then dunk the egg for 4 minutes maximum, timed with my phone. It does depend on the size of the egg, mine are usually large, so I adjust a little bit for that, but it mostly works.

puddingpen Wed 10-May-17 11:26:30

If you have lots of boiled eggs I think it is worth investing in an egg boiler: www.lakeland.co.uk/18921/Lakeland-6-Boiled-Egg-Cooker-%26-Poacher
I have an old Seimens one but I don't think they make them anymore.

You put in the correct amount of water from the accompanying measuring jug and it makes a loud buzz when it boils dry, at which point you remove your perfectly cooked egg.

But if you are having boiled eggs less than once a week, it's probably not worth it...

elQuintoConyo Wed 10-May-17 12:03:23

I put large eggs in boiling water, cook 5.5 minutes (phone timer), put immediately into cold water. Serve straightaway.

DS' favourites.

Qtipsrsweet Thu 11-May-17 18:21:15

Thanks for all the advice. Made boiled eggs again this morning and heeded all the wonderful advice from you all and they were ace!!
😘😘

GetInTheFuckingSea Fri 12-May-17 12:55:42

Woohoo! A successful thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now