Talk

Advanced search

Can you identify this cheese or type of cheese? Or recipe?

(15 Posts)
MangosAndPapayas Sun 07-May-17 11:22:36

Many years ago as a student we used to go to this cafe that sold pizza. It wasn't a chain like Pizza Hut nor was it swanky.

The pizzas were delicious partly because (I think) of the cheese.

It was a white-ish coloured cheese when melted (as opposed to gold/yellow cheddar colour) but used to get this sort of gold honey coloured oil/fat leaking out of it when melted. It tasted sort of sweet - sort of like honey - but wasn't honey added.

It's difficult to describe but you know when you melt cheese and it starts to have the oil/fat separated out of it? It looked like that but sort of honey-ish - it tasted sweet-ish but not honey super sweet - more savoury sweetish. Like honey but no where near as sugar sweet.

It definitely wasn't mozarrellla or at least not normal mozarella. I don't think it was Raclette either. I've been trying to recreate it without success.

I was wondering if in fact they added a squeeze of some sort of oil on top after cooking - if so what sort of oil would that be?

What cheese? What oil? What was it that made the cheesey bit so delicious????

StewPots Sun 07-May-17 11:32:06

It could very well be Burrata OP. We used to use it in the restaurant I worked in all the time, especially with Italian tomatoes and fresh basil...Burrata salad starters went down very well!

It's more dense than mozzarella, and a lot creamier. It has a better flavour too. A lot of genuine Italian restaurants or high end places such as ours was use it as a posher alternative to mozzarella in dishes.

A fab cheese!

StewPots Sun 07-May-17 11:33:33

Forgot to add, Burrata is made with buffalo milk as proper mozzarella is, but then pumped with actual cream, hence the density and denser flavour.

MangosAndPapayas Sun 07-May-17 11:57:16

I'm not sure StewPots - I love burrata but doubt it was this. I will give it a try though to test it.

Burrata has only become really popular and available in the UK last decade or so. This was a little cafe well outside London! I doubt they would have even heard of burrata.

I don't think melting it gives a golden separated colour either - any more than mozeralla does really.

Want a big burrata with truffle oil now Thanks for that!

smile

StewPots Sun 07-May-17 12:09:24

grinIt really is a wonderful cheese 🧀! Hope you find it though OP whatever it may be! smile

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sun 07-May-17 12:27:37

Could itbe Monterey Jack? I worked in Puzza Hut many years ago (25+) and they had some specials for a while with Monterey Jack which was more golden than the mozzarella - it was all the "plastic" grated stuff though.

MangosAndPapayas Sun 07-May-17 22:34:38

I don't think so WhoKnows as Monterey Jack is quite orange I think and this cheese was basically white.

In other new, I had a big fat burrata for dinner with basil and tomato.

ambereyesore Sun 07-May-17 22:52:07

Halloumi?

clairethewitch70 Sun 07-May-17 22:56:08

Feta?

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 07-May-17 22:56:38

Goats cheese with honey? That was popular in trendy cafes when I was a student.

SunshineAllTheWhile Sun 07-May-17 22:57:28

Hmm. Could it be provalone? A mild, non smoked, standard provalone? Deffo used on pizzas in the US & has that sweetish melty goodness?!

SunshineAllTheWhile Sun 07-May-17 22:59:57

Provolone* (oops!)

CaitAgusMadra Sun 07-May-17 23:22:39

Tallegio?

Brownish rind but white cheese, has a slightly sweet/fruity tang. I've never had it melted on a pizza mind yet

sheepskinshrug Tue 09-May-17 08:42:36

Tallegio is very nice on pizza, as is provolone.

Chewbecca Mon 15-May-17 19:46:16

Marscapone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now